recovery after surgery

jenifr818
jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
Hi all

I had an emergency appendectomy on Feb. 20th and had a nice long 5 night stay in the hospital as a result. Well, two weeks later, as a result of not being able to eat the absolutely horrid hospital food and not having any appetite at all when home, I'm down 9 lbs and feel like absolute crap and weak. Now that I'm off the antibiotics and starting to get my appetite back, I'm looking for ideas for what to eat that will help me get back in the game and boost my energy levels. Thoughts?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    You might want to consider eating closer to a maintenance level for a few weeks while you recover and build back up to a light workout, once you're cleared to exercise. I'd suggest getting in extra protein when possible. I think just eating what you were before the surgery, perhaps just a bit more would be fine. Lean meats, eggs/egg whites, dairy, legumes, plenty of fruits and vegetables, and whatever grains you personally fit in to your diet (I know grains/carbs are a hot button topic, and everyone is different!)
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Your body is healing so give it real, wholesome, nutrient- rich foods. Stay away from fast food and processed foods, if you must you can add them in few weeks. Fill up on fresh produce, healthy fats, quality protein, and complex carbs. Just had surgery myself, good thing I didn't have to stay in the hospital but I know where you're coming from. Good luck, hope you feel better soon :)