Crutches?!

Options
So... I've had the wonderful privlege of being put on crutches for the next 6 weeks after hip surgery... and I was curious... How many more calories does a normal person burn walking on crutches vs. normally? I was in decent cardiovascular shape prior to my surgery and I'm sweating up a storm gimping to the elevators at my work which is all of 50 yards... especially when I'm wearing my backpack that probably weighs all of 20lbs.
I'm not going to log the calorie deficit or anything... but I thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's theories.

Replies

• stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller?:cry:
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had my hip replaced 7 weeks ago, and initially they said I'd be on crutches for a while... I graduated to a cane in just over a week and now I don't use anything, though I still take the cane with me if I'm going to be out for any length of time, as a fall back (so I don't fall back!). I have no idea how many more calories you burn walking on crutches, but it has to be more than what you'd burn just walking normally. It's hard! And you don't realize how hard until you have to do it, especially with pain added into the mix. Assuming you'll be having some form of physical therapy, too, which will involved stationary bikes, etc, as time goes on. That's easier to look up. I gained 10 pounds in ONE DAY in the hospital from swelling, fluid retention, and LOT of fluid that they pumped into me (I lost a lot of blood). It took almost 2 weeks for all of that to go once I got home but now I'm 3 pounds less than I was the morning before the surgery, and I didn't have all that much to lose (and it's harder to lose once you're down that far). That tells me that whatever moving I've done, including getting around on the crutches, was having SOME benefit. Good Luck!!

ETA.... HA! Look what I found!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/calories-burned/walking-using-crutches-203
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks MsDover for your reply! Definitely gives me hope that you weren't on crutches that long w/ a full replacement... I just had an arthroscopy to pin some damaged cartilige and file down the bone.. so maybe the 6 weeks was an overestimate on the Doctor's part. Oh to be able to walk AND carry a cup of coffee will be utter bliss!