Food alergies, what can I do?

Options
janal
janal Posts: 5 Member
Hello fitness pals,

I have several food allergies which include most raw fruits, vegetables and nuts. I wish I could blame my weight gain on that because my snacks are crackers and cheese instead of apples! but I can't say its just what I'm eating or not eating. Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy snacks?

Replies

• lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of lean protein (chicken, fish, turkey, lean beef, lamb, etc) along with the fruits and veggies that you are allowed to eat. Stay away from refined sugars and stick to healthy carbs as snacks. Low fat dairy products like cottage cheese, yogurt and greek yogurt are also healthy. I also add a protein shake daily.
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have several actual food allergies (nuts, celery, melons, soy, etc.) and then I also have oral allergy syndrome (the raw fruits and veggies). If you raw fruit and veggie allergy is related to oral allergy syndrome and not an actual allergy you can peel the fruit to eat it and be fine. Alternatively one of my favorite snacks is to peel an apple slice it into a bowl of water put it in the microwave for about 3 minutes. Once the apples are tender I drain the water and sprinkle with cinnamon. Other than that having some cooked protein like chicken is always good to keep around and so are hard boiled eggs (I just eat the whites). If you can find out what raw fruit and veggies effect you and there are some that don’t eat those too.
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have really bad oral allergy to tree fruits, some nuts (almonds), and some veggies (snap peas). My doctor advised me to micro the apple for 5 seconds (I think?) then put it in the fridge for a bit. This will change the chemistry of the fruit so my body won't think I am eating tree pollen. It works. The other foods, I have to play around with the times so the item is still crisp and won't make my mouth itch. Obviously, this won't work if you have a true allergy.

I thought I was doomed because I could no longer eat apples, peaches, nectarines, etc. But then after a trip to the allergist, she cleared that up for me. Thank goodness!
  • janal
    janal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I am finally on track (55 pounds lost) and back on fitness pal to support a family member!