Running alone and carrying ID

Options
Recently I was on a short vacation trip in Florida and went for a run by myself. Being that I was by myself I like to take my phone and some form of ID with me - I managed to lose my driver's license and could not find it - which made it interesting getting through security for the flight home.

So my question is what do you do when you are outside alone for exercise (running, biking, hiking etc..) - do you carry ID with you and what do you carry? (AND if you carry it how do you do it so you don't lose it ...placing it in a pocket is not working for me)

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I also have a Road ID, best thing ever.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Been meaning to get one. Probably will be a birthday gift to myself this year.
  • annasamaniego
    Options
    I have asthma and i also like to carry my id and sometimes my car key if ive driven to a location to hike....i got the idea from northface they have a sports bra with a pocket...because this bra didnt come in my size i sewed a small pocket into the sports bras i already had... there is also a waterbottle put out by a couple companies that has a compartment for an id and car key.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Isn't Road ID just an identification tag though? I thought the original posted had asked about carrying around items?
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Isn't Road ID just an identification tag though? I thought the original posted had asked about carrying around items?

My bad - she had asked about what to carry for an ID.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of wrist wallets--stretchy zipped pouches that go on your wrist. They hold a driver's license and key, with no chance of getting lost thanks to the zipper. Mine are from Sprigs: http://sprigs.com/banjees/

Another thing that works for me is biking clothes. Unlike running clothes, bike jerseys, vests, and jackets almost always have deep pockets in the back, sometimes with zippers. And they're the same tech fabrics as running clothes--check sale racks at your local bike store. Great not only for ID and keys, but for gels or other food, small water bottles, a place to stick your phone if you need to run with it.

My husband has Road ID. I keep meaning to get one as well, but since I have other things that work for me I haven't got around to it. If you go that route, consider the wrist or ankle version--the trouble with the one that goes on your shoe is that if you get hit by a car, your shoes might go flying.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wear Yikes ID (same as Road ID, but cheaper). But if you really want to keep your ID, you could slide it behind your phone if you run with an armband.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Road ID is great. If you're worried in the mean time or can't get one for some reason, I have an armband doohickey for my phone and stuck my license in with my phone.
  • Judyls6
    Judyls6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely look into the Road ID - or the less expensive one - but also think about getting an arm band for carrying my phone too! I'm really new at this running thing - really don't care too much for it but think if I keep it up maybe it will grow on me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Road ID is great. If you're worried in the mean time or can't get one for some reason, I have an armband doohickey for my phone and stuck my license in with my phone.

Same here. I never run without my Road ID - it has my name, drivers license number, blood type, emergency contact's names & numbers, allergy info, etc on it - more info than my drivers license does! If I need to carry my actual ID, I slip it in my phone arm band, or take my Nathan's Shadow Pak belt.

And for armbands and small running packs, the wrist packs, etc, check your local Marshalls & TJ Maxx stores - I've gotten my stuff there for a fraction of the cost of getting it at a sporting goods or running store, or even online. Especially if you're not sure if you're going to stick with it - at least you won't be out too much cash.

But the Road ID is great for other sports too, cycling, even walking.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of wrist wallets--stretchy zipped pouches that go on your wrist. They hold a driver's license and key, with no chance of getting lost thanks to the zipper. Mine are from Sprigs: http://sprigs.com/banjees/

Ohh cool - I play a lot of laser tag and need my hands free to hold my gun and don't always have proper pockets - I might need to get one of these!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use a Spibelt and love it.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    even cheaper than road id is taking a dog tag, having your name, dob or something written on it and then looping that into your shoe laces.

I go the cheapest route, i run with no ID. But, it's also on a private road. It's 1 mile long, 1 lane and family at both ends, only 4 houses.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Road ID a few days ago, so I'll wear that when it gets here. My water bottle also has a pocket on it, big enough for keys, or gels, or ID, or whatever.
  • MistressFierce
    Options
    I tuck my ID into the skin on my phone and I have ICE number programmed into my phone. I always have my phone and sometimes pepper spray. Truck key is on the lanyard to my mp3 player and I'm off!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    even cheaper than road id is taking a dog tag, having your name, dob or something written on it and then looping that into your shoe laces.

I go the cheapest route, i run with no ID. But, it's also on a private road. It's 1 mile long, 1 lane and family at both ends, only 4 houses.

I like this idea, and i have my info under my phone on my armband. But i like the tag idea I think Ill do that too .
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I also include a $20 with ID in the sleeve or skin my phone is in my jacket has a key pocket for a single key also my nike gloves have a small sleve for a key for winter time so its one key for car or house and phone thats it