Losing weight by numbers... one for the geeks...

Options
ElPatoLoco
ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
Wasn't entirely sure where to post this and couldn't really see a thread that was suitable but I thought some of you might find this interesting.

I record my weight every day, roughly around the same time, not because I'm an obsessive neurotic about my weight but because I like numbers. For some people it's photo's.. for me it's graphs ;)

The graph below shows three things. The line of red dots is MFP's projected weight loss of 2 lbs per week, the blue is my actual weight day by day and the black line is the trend of actual weight loss.

dzasgl.jpg

At the beginning I stuck rigidly to MFP's recommended calorific intake and you can see how I rapidly I overtook the projected figures, however as I got closer to my initial goal the two lines begin to converge. Once I reached my goal of 168lbs I eased up considerably and now eat a maintenance diet of around 1800-1900 calories a day

What's interesting for me is looking back at periods where I had "woohoo" moments, or plateaus where I felt I was never going to lose another pound. Christmas 2012 I actually maintained my weight whilst having what at the time felt like the pig-out of the century.

What I also find interesting is this was accomplished without depriving myself of a Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum & (diet) Coke in the evening or undertaking hours of strenuous exercise. In fact apart from walking more regularly, 30-40 minutes, 2 or 3 times a week in the first 3 months this included no more regular activity than I normally do.

Just thought I'd share as for me this has been a useful tool that's helped keep me motivated... a journal by numbers if you like :)

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Congratulations on your loss, the graph is cool!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    And THAT... is why you should weigh daily!

Awesome. Good job on the loss and tracking. It makes it so much easier to deal with things when you have data that you can go back to look at and really see what is happening instead of letting emotions take charge!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I record my weight in the app Libra. Has neat trending graphs, predictions, reports. Love it :-)
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The visual definitely helps!
    I record my weight in the app Libra. Has neat trending graphs, predictions, reports. Love it :-)

Thanks for this! I just downloaded it!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Nice graph and nice app! I like to look at numbers.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Very cool - thanks for sharing this!

+1 on Libra.
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    Do you have razor sharp talons?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Graphs! Drinking alcohol while losing weight! Not starving yourself!

Love your attitude and approach.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I still use my fitday software for the graphs even though I've changed to here to log my foods as it has a better database.

I love my graphs.
  • pjwcampbell
    pjwcampbell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers/graphs geek, too. I religiously record my mileage on bike rides and calories burned during other exercise. It motivates me to be able to look back and see how many miles I rode in a year.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    NIce!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!