Are homemade fruit smoothies good for weight loss?

Options
I love smoothies. I don't enjoy them very often; I usually just snack on regular fruit.

But I was wondering if homemade smoothies were good for weight loss?

In my smoothies I usually just blend 1 banana, 1 apple, a handful of grapes, and a little bit of almond milk (less than a cup).

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The only thing good for weight loss as far as food goes is eating at a calorie deficit. If smoothies help you achieve this, then so be it.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you like them! Sounds delicious!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Whats good for weight loss is having a calorie deficit, so if this fits in your calorie count, great
  • Lynne4906
    Lynne4906 Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't think smoothies are necessarily bad for you. There are many ways to approach weight loss. Example - cutting out the unncecessary carbohydrates, smaller portions, Weight Watchers, counting calories, etc. In my recent experience, I am trying to watch how many calories I take it. I've never ever ever done this, but it was very sobering to see how many calories a person can take in without noticing. With saying all of that - when I went to make a protein fruit smoothie one morning, I saw that a bananna has about 200cal, an apple is about 80, the protein scoop was 170, and the cup of strawberries or mango was about 80 as well....whew! that's a crap ton of calories! ...and in 2 hours, I was hungry. my thoughts anyway...but drink it if you like it!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    If they fit in your plan then they work.
    Wouldn't work for me because I am working to avoid becoming pre-diabetic again. So I limit all carbs. particularly easy to digest carbs.
    Eating too much fruit can be as bad for your liver as too much alcohol. Fructose can cause fatty liver disease.
    So like most things, moderation is key.
    Every new Dunkin Donuts employee loves the smell of the fresh donuts. But eventually it get old. :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's not where they're made that matters ....
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about them. If you make a high-calorie one and drink too many of them, then no.

Personally, I have one every morning, and it worked because it replaced a higher-calorie, high-carb, low-protein breakfast cereal. By switching to frozen fruit that didn't go bad, I was able to eat more fruit more consistently.