New and feeling guilty

Options
2»

Replies

• tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ummm i ate 15 chips (because that was the serving size) with my lunch today...no guilt...actually pleased with myself because i ate the serving size as opposed to sitting with the open bag until i finished it.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    1. Stop "dieting." You're making healthy choices and sticking to a certain calorie allotment, but you need to do this in a sustainable way. The way you eat and being smart about calories are things you'll want to continue to do long after you lose the weight.

2. Chips are not inherently evil. You didn't binge on them, you simply enjoyed a treat. Log it and don't exceed your calories for the rest of today. Once again, sustainability - you're going to want to eat chips from time to time. Don't feel guilty about it, just plan for it.

3. Most people on here do cheat meals once a week. Maybe you log it, maybe you don't, but you enjoy whatever it is you want to enjoy for one meal. It keeps you from feeling deprived (and ultimately giving up on "dieting" because it's too hard).

4. Food as a reward is a very personal decision. A lot of people here are emotional eaters or struggle with food addiction; for them, it's more important to trigger good feelings and positive emotions with something other than food. I never had that issue, so every 5lbs I'd have something really indulgent like a milkshake, a treat I very rarely enjoy. Know yourself and know what will work best for you.

Don't feel bad over eating 15 chips. You're doing really well, be proud!
  • Chaelarich
    Chaelarich Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as a "cheat." You wanted it, you made the choice to eat it, Own it.

Do you plan to go the rest of your life without eating chips and dip?! People need to stop reading into the "fad diets" looking for quick fixes to drop weight. It's a life long thing. It's about retraining yourself to eat everything in moderation, and not feel guilty when you eat something you're craving!

Keep you're chin up hun! You're doing awesome :)
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    We ALL need to get the mentality out of our heads that there are good foods and bad foods....all foods are gifts from God. MAN has put limitations on what we 'should' and 'shouldnt' eat....so, enjoy the chips, but maybe if you truly feel guilty,than reward yourself with something else next time...like every 10 pounds do a manicure etc. Proud of you on the 7 pounds....:flowerforyou:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great start you have - 7 pounds is awesome!!

To be honest with you 15 chips wouldn't be a reward for me because about once every two weeks I allow myself a serving or two of them (chips are my downfall so I don't keep them around because I would have a hard time stopping at 15 chips!!). What I have figured out this time around is that we shouldn't keep certain foods from ourselves or we tend to give up. I know I don't want that - so I just fit it into my calories.

I have set up a reward system for myself. My son (who is 11 and thinks kissing his mother is "uncool" - thankfully he still gives me at least two hugs a day) has agreed to give me a kiss for every 10 pounds I lose. I also had the goal that when I hit 20 pounds, I would treat myself to a massage -- I booked it today!! At 30 pounds, I'm going to get a pedicure. Who knows what I have in store as I keep going?

Good luck on your journey.