Swollen feet and ankles

Options
Bbuser51
Bbuser51 Posts: 17 Member
I've been running for about six months and my feet and ankles are constantly swollen except for when I just get out of bed plus a few hours. I also have a sit down job so I'm not sure which it's from. It doesn't hurt, though.

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like it could be water retention. Are you drinking a lot of water? Do you have elevated sodium levels?
  • Bbuser51
    Options
    I think I drink plenty of water. At least 8 glasses a day. My sodium levels, I'm not sure.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Do you drink a lot of caffeine/coffee/soda? Even 'diet' types? These cause water retention.
  • Bbuser51
    Options
    I usually have 2 cups in the morning and 1 cup when I get home from work. No soda at all.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I think it might be the caffeine with not enough water consumption, maybe? If you're drinking 3 cups a day and only having 8 glasses a day, it might not be enough. I'd try drinking more water, especially having some first thing in the morning when you wake up and drink an additional glass of water for every cup of coffee you have. When you drink caffeine, it's important to have more water than someone who doesn't drink caffeine because caffeine dehydrates you.
  • Bbuser51
    Options
    OK, thanks...I'll try that