Cold water weight loss

Options
Read the whole thing, interesting theory, definitely makes sense.

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2013/02/ff-cold-weight-loss/

Replies

• annielizstan
    annielizstan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Cold Water plays an important role in many body functions and these body functions are important for losing weight.Cold Water can help curb your appetite and make you feel full faster.This is best way to lose weight.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest, I would rather stick to my healthy eating and exercise than forcibly make myself cold at every available opportunity.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest, I would rather stick to my healthy eating and exercise than forcibly make myself cold at every available opportunity.

this.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    A TV chef in the UK whilst doing a diet series, took a bath full of ice for as long as possible (30 mins max) and still lost weight. I think I'll stick to what I am doing now lol.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

this.

x3
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The theory makes sense to me (only because horses lose weight if they aren't rugged up and kept warm in the winter, most of my fitness/anything knowledge is equine based haha), but same as above, I hate being cold so I'll pass

Interesting though, ta for sharing
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just one problem: There’s not much rigorous science behind any of this.

You don't say...

I guess the theory is that you body strives to regulate basal temperature and keep it within a strict range.

If you submerge yourself in cold water you force your body to work harder than normal to do so given the change in environmental conditions therefore meaning greater energy expenditure.

You could, you know, just exercise instead.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    idiotic weight loss gimmicks/fads are idiotic.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    idiotic weight loss gimmicks/fads are idiotic.

This!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sure. So explain why there are obese people in freezing climates, if all it takes to lose weight is being cold...
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • cartoonhead
    cartoonhead Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You could, you know, just exercise instead.

Like (Thumbs Up)
  • cartoonhead
    cartoonhead Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is poinltess if its not maintainable. This may help you shed the pounds but how will it help you maintain the loss once youve reached your goal?

There is no quick fix, its about making permenent changes to your diet and lifestyle which requires dedication to both your body and mind.

This may be a good diet if you live in the north pole!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    No one said you stay healthy by living in the artic, simply put that by forcing yourself to these cold practices your body is forced to burn more calories during the day without exercise. It's not a exercise plan, its a study.
    Yeah, sure. So explain why there are obese people in freezing climates, if all it takes to lose weight is being cold...
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • LuckyDucky73
    Options
    Nothing replaces healthy eating and exercise ...but if drinking cold water gives you a little bit of an edge ,why not do it ?You have to drink water everyday anyway . I'm going to try it .It can't hurt right ?!:bigsmile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No one said you stay healthy by living in the artic, simply put that by forcing yourself to these cold practices your body is forced to burn more calories during the day without exercise. It's not a exercise plan, its a study.
    tigerpalm.jpg

The amount is so negligible as to be a wasted of time thinking about. "Go work out" is much more useful advice.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    bump - just because of all the tigers on this thread. real and plush.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ....................... I like my showers HOT!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere too that the body burns more calories when it is sick and/or recovering from an injury (?). Personally, I'd rather not be sickly. And by the same token, I don't want to be shivering in the cold any more than I can help it.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    surely sitting in 15 degree water is pretty bloody cold... i'd be worried for your immune system doing that too many times lol