Salt - How can I tell if I am actually consuming too much?

Options
Breizier
Breizier Posts: 221 Member
Does anyone know how MFP calculates salt?

I have used a couple of generic foods (frozen broccoli drained with salt, and boiled beef carrots onion and potatoes) the upshot of which is I am 1010 above my reccomeded salt intake. One of the reasons I want to get rid of the weight is to ensure my BP remains healthy as frighteningly high (for me).

I don't think I use a lot of salt - I know I probably underestimate what I use - but this is unhelpful. Short of putting every single ingredient I use in every dish I cook into MFP how can I make the salt levels more accurate?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how MFP calculates salt?

I have used a couple of generic foods (frozen broccoli drained with salt, and boiled beef carrots onion and potatoes) the upshot of which is I am 1010 above my reccomeded salt intake. One of the reasons I want to get rid of the weight is to ensure my BP remains healthy as frighteningly high (for me).

I don't think I use a lot of salt - I know I probably underestimate what I use - but this is unhelpful. Short of putting every single ingredient I use in every dish I cook into MFP how can I make the salt levels more accurate?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Well....what I do since I'm hypertensive is I put every single ingredient I use in every dish I cook. I use the recipe builder. That's just what you have to do when it's that important. If I'm using an online recipe that happens to be in the data base, I follow it pretty exact. I actually use very minimal to no salt in my cooking as it already exists in so many things, including natural whole foods.

I've pretty much had to learn to just put the salt shaker away and use more herbs and spices in my cooking for flavor. funny things is that after awhile...you go to someone's house and eat their food...and even though they only put a little salt in there, you can taste it and it tastes like you just drank the ocean. You get used to the absence of salt pretty quick.
  • Breizier
    Options
    Mmm my hubby cooks during the week and I cant see him not adding salt - mind you he forgot today.

I really cant see me logging every single ingredient. I hope the reducing the weight tackles my BP as I do not want to get to a stage where it is of concern to my GP.

BTW what is the recipe builder?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Short of putting every single ingredient I use in every dish I cook into MFP how can I make the salt levels more accurate?

This is the only solution I can think of! (this is also the only way to get an accurate calorie/fat/carb/protein etc. count - I've been really surprised by some foods I thought might be low/zero cal, like certain spices, which are not!)

If you go to your Food tab, you'll see the option to select "Recipes". There you can enter a custom recipe that includes all of the ingredients in the dish you're making, and it lets you divide it up by the number of servings. You can then just add one serving from the recipe to your diary rather than enter every single thing over and over again. It's great for foods you eat often or when you'll have leftovers. I love it and use it all the time!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Mmm my hubby cooks during the week and I cant see him not adding salt - mind you he forgot today.

I really cant see me logging every single ingredient. I hope the reducing the weight tackles my BP as I do not want to get to a stage where it is of concern to my GP.

Ask hubby to not add salt until he has his plate of food than he can salt his as he wants.

If you aren't logging every ingredient in something you eat you aren't being honest wtih yourself and you aren't trying hard enough to help lower salt intake. There is no other way to get an accurate view of how much of anything you are consuming without adding it to your diary.
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I never salt anything as it is cooking. I am also teaching myself to use the recipe builder on MFP, as well as the other food tabs. Just click buttons and explore the MFP site. Eventually, you'll teach yourself how it works.
    As for me, I am still learning my way around here. Good luck. It can be done. :flowerforyou:
  • Breizier
    Options

Ask hubby to not add salt until he has his plate of food than he can salt his as he wants.

If you aren't logging every ingredient in something you eat you aren't being honest wtih yourself and you aren't trying hard enough to help lower salt intake. There is no other way to get an accurate view of how much of anything you are consuming without adding it to your diary.
    #

I think people generally add more salt to the plate than that in the pot we certainly do in our house and we do not use salt at the table at home.
    I think part of the problem logging generic foods, its like using cordials - the instructions usually say 1:4. When I measured, I was using 1:10
    I guess i am going to have to find the recipe builder