scale not budging

Options
I see so many posts like this and I thought I would ask for some advice. I'm pretty sure tomorrow weigh in is not going to show any weight dropped. I've been teetering between 138.2-138.8 for two weeks now. With the way I'm doing things I should be at least 137 or 136 by now. I'm trying not to sweat it but my problem like most is I don't think I could possibly eat anymore than I already do. I don't know if I hit a plateau or not. I lost 8lb since Jan 21st and these past two weeks nothing. My diary is open and I just started a gym membership on monday and have gone every day so far this week. Words of wisdom, encouragement, advice appreciated. My goal is to drop the last 18lb by middle of May.

Replies

• azrrt76
    azrrt76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open :)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I see that you go way over the sodium many times a week, if you would try harder to watch the sodium you would probably have more success. I not saying you can't go over sometimes but several times in a week isn't helping you
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open :)

It should have been open and then I saw that it wasn't. But it's open now
  • fuzzymop55
    Options
    I see that you go way over the sodium many times a week, if you would try harder to watch the sodium you would probably have more success. I not saying you can't go over sometimes but several times in a week isn't helping you

Someone has mentioned that as well. I really try to stay under the sodium but those stupid soups looks like I'm going to have to stop eating them.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    you dropped 8lbs in 6 weeks and you aren't that far from your goal weight.

be patient.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    also, looking at your diary, almost all your food is packaged/processed/salty.

and there are lots of days you eat 900-1000 calories and even a couple at 700....

and you say you could not possibly eat more?? How about better?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eat all the way to your goal and some of your exercise calories and be patient. Two weeks without a loss really isn't unusual, especially as you get closer to your goal.
  • fuzzymop55
    Options
    I really need to stop buying the overly processed foods. I can't believe I was fooling myself with the low cal this, low fat that. I'm not hungry right when I wake up so I usually wait for lunch. So far it looks like sodium needs to get way way down. and eat far less carbs than I am.
  • fuzzymop55
    Options
    Eat all the way to your goal and some of your exercise calories and be patient. Two weeks without a loss really isn't unusual, especially as you get closer to your goal.

what are some good lunch/dinner meals that don't include mushrooms, fish, weird flaxy sadness?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I really need to stop buying the overly processed foods. I can't believe I was fooling myself with the low cal this, low fat that. I'm not hungry right when I wake up so I usually wait for lunch. So far it looks like sodium needs to get way way down. and eat far less carbs than I am.

Skipping breakfast shouldn't be a problem. But you might want to get rid of some of the low fat options or try to add some calorie dense foods so that you can eat less and get more calories. A handful of nuts, a tablespoon of peanut butter, a couple of slices of avocado, a cup of whole milk, an ounce or two of full fat cheese, a bit of dark chocolate. All healthy options that will add calories and good fats without adding a lot of food.
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your frustrations. I have been losing and gaining the same 2-8 pounds since November. I am trying not to stress out about it as I can see changes in my body, clothes are much bigger, shoes are looser, rings fit again. I have ramped up my workouts for March. I am going for that in like a lion out like a lamb motto. I figure I go to the gym 5 days a week, go in like a lion, and come out weak as a newborn lamb. This becomes challenging for me on my work days as I am a shift work 7P to 7A.
    I find that I do not get my protein in consistently, I have been trying to eat more non-fat Greek style yogurt to remedy this without going over on fat or carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You've heard it a million times, but if it were me: I'd figure out my BMR and my TDEE and eat between em somewhere.
    You're not eating very much, and you're exercising, and most of it doesn't look very nutritious.

I'd bet if you ate TDEE minus 15% or TDEE minus 20% and added some fresh vegetables, some fruit, the scales would start to budge again.
  • fuzzymop55
    Options
    You've heard it a million times, but if it were me: I'd figure out my BMR and my TDEE and eat between em somewhere.
    You're not eating very much, and you're exercising, and most of it doesn't look very nutritious.

I'd bet if you ate TDEE minus 15% or TDEE minus 20% and added some fresh vegetables, some fruit, the scales would start to budge again.
    could you help me figure out what that is?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Great advice. I would also add that you have had great loss up to now. A lack of loss for a couple of weeks is nothing to worry about. I often go for three weeks with no loss, then a whoosh of three pounds comes off in one go. Keep at it - consistency and patience are the way to go.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Sure. There's several ways to go about it (and note that it's going to depend on your activity level, so then you don't have to "eat back" your exercise calories.

start by reading this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    and then have a look at the BMR calculator here (or any one on the web that makes sense to you, this one does to me)

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

fwiw: my BMR is 1333 and my TDEE is about 2000. I'm eating 1800 calories a day.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

All the details are on the first post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

All the details are on the first post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    heh, great minds think alike. :smile:
  • fuzzymop55
    Options
    Based on that fat 2 fit radio, it tells me I should eat betwee 1,615-1,851 a day. I don't like peanut butter, nuts, mushrooms, whole milk. How in the world do I make up a food base for every day with out all these extra fatty foods? I eat twice a day with maybe some foods in between which is usually a yogurt. I am going to cut out all that processed crap and make better meals but honestly, I don't see how I can eat that much food in a day with out eating the wrong kind of foods which I avoid.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Based on that fat 2 fit radio, it tells me I should eat betwee 1,615-1,851 a day. I don't like peanut butter, nuts, mushrooms, whole milk. How in the world do I make up a food base for every day with out all these extra fatty foods? I eat twice a day with maybe some foods in between which is usually a yogurt. I am going to cut out all that processed crap and make better meals but honestly, I don't see how I can eat that much food in a day with out eating the wrong kind of foods which I avoid.
    Lots of food options out there.
    My lunch today was a sandwich. 2 slices of bread, turkey breast, AVOCADO, whole fat cheese and alfalfa sprouts.
    My breakfast was greek yogurt with flax seeds (and peanut butter, but yours could be berries, or cereal or any number of things).
    I often eat omelets with cheese and veggies for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner).
    It's not hard for me to get to 1800 calories. You just have to figure out what you like to eat.
    One warning: if you jump from 1200 to, say, 1750, the scale may go up a little. Many folks suggest doing that over a couple of days.
    Definitely read that link we both posted. Very helpful information.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary for ideas. Most days I eat pretty good, but do have the occasional slip-up. Eat whole foods, meats, grains, fruits and veggies. By whole, I mean as least processed as possible. I buy tons of frozen veggies. Be sure to read the label and get ones w/out sauces, which are high in sodium. Pre-packaged frozen veggies should have little to no sodium. As for meats, they too shouldn't have much sodium when you buy it fresh. Liike yesterdya, your Hormel pork roast had 950 mg sodium per serving. that's outrageously high. Whereas another brand or different kind of packaging from the same company will have under 100 mg sodium / serving.

Cereal in the morn? Lucky Charms? I love them too but limit it to once/week I'd say. It's mostly all sugar, leaving you hungry within a few hours usually. Eggs, whole grain cereals (add your own fruit for sweetining), oatmeal, etc. are good suggestions.

Lunch? Leftovers from dinner, PBJ, salad w/ chicken, deli sandwich (but again -- watch the sodium).

Dinner? Tons of ideas out there. Check out skinnytaste.com , find meal planner websites for stuff you like. When eating out, look at the menus beforehand and plan accordingly.

Personally, I think you should eat more than 1200, and most of the exercise calories. And as others said, patience. You didn't gain it in a few months and you want to lose FAT, not muscle.

Good luck!