Side effects after quitting smoking?

I know this is a weird topic but I need a little support right now in my quit smoking journey. I quit cold turkey at the beginning of this week. But I've started to feel like I'm coming down with broncitus or a very serious chest cold. Sometimes my lungs feel like they are burning and I sneeze A LOT!

Now with that said I've had no cravings for another cigarette. That is the saving grace but these other side effects are killing me. I was wondering if anyone else experience heartburn or cold like symptoms when they quit smoking. Also how long should I expect thiese 'side effects' to last?

Thank you!

Replies

• That is the cleansing process that you will go through for a couple of weeks
  • nrf111
    nrf111 Posts: 23 Member
    Yep! I had that too. Unfortunately they last for a while. I quit a few years ago and I think it took about 6ish weeks to have the sneezing and coughing die down completely.

Great job so far though!! And that sneezing and coughing means that your lungs are clearing out the stuff they don't like, so think of it as a good thing! It may take a while, but you will feel soooo much better when it is over.
  • mimilynn79
    mimilynn79 Posts: 26 Member
    I felt the exact same way. You have to push through it and stay strong! If you give in you will have to go through being sick again. It was about two weeks before I started to feel good.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    This is completely normal. When you quit you'll feel like crap. Basically it's your lungs doing their thing....I can't remember all the medical mumbo jumbo but basically you will feel worse after quitting but you're repairing and then you'll feel better. I didn't have chest problems when I quit (the first time, I need to quit again). However, like my aunt she got bronchitis really bad and horrible coughing. It's completely normal for some. I hope you feel better soon!!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    I'm 6 months free today! Your body is beginning to heal from being poisoned for a while. It will react in funny ways. This is totally normal...I am not sure how long it will last for you. Some awesome things to look forward to: your taste buds returning, better sense of smell, not hating yourself every time you light up, not being paranoid about your breath, not worrying about your future health and appearance, saving money, and lots more! Best of luck and if you ever suffer a craving, remember the cigg is not a prize...it is nothing to miss or want or desire. It is a poison and it has no benefits - only those it has tricked us into believing it had!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Hi There! If your name is Autumn, so is mine :]
    Anyway, today is my 6th day without smoking. I haven't experienced any cold like symptoms, but I did read that it happens when your lungs are clearing out. The only side affects I have had are some mild nausea and trouble sleeping. Your symptoms should go away soon. Just remember that the end result will definitely be worth the discomfort in the beginning! Good luck, feel free to add me :]
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Grats on deciding to stop smoking - I quit several years ago, and it was one of the best decisions ever!

Any who, I never had any side effects from stopping and I've never met anyone who has (then again, I'm no Dr. and just because I haven't had it happen to me, or know anyone that's happened to, does not mean it's not possible that it's normal. I was a smoker for around 7 - 8 years) - in fact, I felt much better (I stopped coughing up my lungs every morning and could breathe better all in all as I wasn't getting fatigued as fast and what not.)

Are you/did you take anything to help stop smoking (eg patches, etc...) ?

You might be coming down with a cold, but if this keeps up or gets worse I'd deff see a Dr. (personally, I'd go ahead and see one asap if I were you just to put your mind at ease; rather be safe than sorry.)
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Totally normal and a sign of your body cleaning itself out again. Congrats!! I have heard that drinking lots of water and juice can help this, certainly being well hydrated can't hurt! Exercise can also help get this crap out of your a little faster. Look at it as a sign of healing, yay you!!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    I definitely think this is normal! It has been happening to me too. I stopped smoking last week because I had the stomach flu so it was just natural not to smoke. I decided not to start back up, its been 12 days since I smoked at all :) (Before that was mostly only at work anyway, maybe 5 a day.) I have not had any cravings, but noticed that now after a run I cant seem to stop coughing- but this NEVER happened when I was still smoking. It does seem to be clearing up though, and actually after the coughing fit my chest feels pretty clear and I feel much better. But not smoking is feeling great in general!! (I had quit for 4 years, started again due to stress while a close family member was passing away in October, and have been trying to quit ever since!)
  • akitagirl78
    akitagirl78 Posts: 22 Member
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking:) Yes, that is completely normal. From my own experience, I think all the physical changes should clear up within the first 2 weeks. If it lasts longer than that, I would maybe go see a doctor. Hang in there, this will pass. it is so great being free!
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    It's been 18 years since I quit, but I do remember coughing up of phlegm for a couple of weeks...just assumed it was my lungs saying thanks and good riddance. But never mess around with your health--see a doctor if you are concerned.

Another thing.... I quit in early spring, around the time I cleaned and packed away my sweaters. The next fall, when I took them out to wear, I was shocked at how they smelled of cigarette smoke. You are doing such a great thing for yourself! Keep up the great work!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Go you! Yes, you will be fine. Lengthy hot showers that produced a ton of steam is what got me thru this period. I am over 2 months nicotine free now. :flowerforyou:
  • autumndragon22
    autumndragon22 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! It’s fabulous to know this is just my body clearing itself out! For those who asked I have not been taking anything, using the patch or chewing any nicotine gum. I had a very scary experience this weekend when my lungs clenched up as if I was having an asthma attack just from getting out of bed. After that I took it as my body saying 'That's it I'm done'. I've also experienced the nausea someone spoke of but only in very short spurts.

I've been drinking water like a mad woman! I would guess between 100-150oz a day just because I'm trying to 'cool' the burning sensation. I am also training for a 5k (my boss is trying to talk me into the half marathon... I think he wants me to die). I'm wondering if the running is speeding up/intensifying the process.

*Edit: I will try the hot shower suggestion too! That is when I have been feeling my best this week. If anyone else has any tips on how to get through this with minimal discomfort I will take all the advice I can get!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    I'm pretty sure I also used mucinex a cpl times too.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    It's normal. It's the cilia in your trachea and lungs are growing back and being like, 'wtf, why is all this gunk in here?' Your cilia starts growing back about 3 days after quitting, at which point your body can effectively respond to all the excess mucus in your lungs that is created due to smoking and begin moving it on out.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    I had lots of withdrawal symptoms as my body got used to more oxygen. I didn't know what to do with myself. I took a lot of deep breaths, walked and drank a lot of water. It was actually months later that I started hack up what was in my lungs. That went on for about 2 or 3 weeks.

Just don't go back!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Congratulations to all the people who have given up, stick with it! I gave up around 20 years ago and I think because the time was right for me, and my mind in the right place, I found it very easy. I didn't have any of these side effects, but I did have a couple of weird ones. Firstly my bowel movements changed from their regular time. They did slowly go back over a few months to where they were pre giving up. Secondly I was getting the most vivid dreams, in a lot of them I was smoking and was so disappointed that after going through the first couple of weeks, I would have to start again. Then I'd wake up and find it was just a dream and be delighted. My main downfall was food suddenly tasted very good and I went from 140 lbs over the next twenty years to 296. I remember when I was about 200 being told by a doctor that he would rather see me overweight than smoking. Although I agree with this, I would rather not be overweight, so belatedly I am doing something about it. Stick with MFP and defeat that tendency to gain weight, I wish we'd had the Internet and MFP when I gave up smoking!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I was sick for about a month with various ailments...just detoxing...just detoxing. Hang in there...life after cigarettes is awesome. My stats....

1348599600_2_20_USD_2.70_dark.png
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    After smoking 13 years, I quit 2 years ago.
    I gained 22 lbs in two months. Lost them at a slow motion, regained them as fast as first time and still have them!
    The first two-three months, I was like... PMSing continuously! Thank my boyfriend then - husband now he didn't dump me, even times I would have dump myself.
    I got for achievement-gift an IBS-C and still got it! My dc. says that smoking is the cause for many bowel problems.
    Even these... I only had some cravings, the last month were some serious changes in my life happened. I 'm trying really hard to keep my self focused on my 5-years-quitter goal.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I didn't even notice, but that's probably because I quit smoking while I had pneumonia.