Does anyone watch thier sugar totals when logging?

Options
I always go over. Today for breakfast I had a cup of fresh pineapple and a Greek yoghurt and hot my limit for the day. Needless to say, after having oatmeal and lunch, I am way over. I know sugar is in everything, I am well aware and unless I eat no fruit and just meat and fat, my sugars are above what MFP is saying I should be getting!

ANyone else?

Replies

• jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    My sugars are usually way over too, mainly because of fruit. Hasn't stopped from losing over 30 pounds so I don't worry about it.
  • Minimouse13
    Minimouse13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I am watching sodium a bit now. Have a lot to lose, but want to enjoy natural sugars! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition or some other compelling reason, just manage your macros...not your micros.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My sugars are over, too. Since my blood tests are good I don't worry about it.
  • Minimouse13
    Options
    Hi, would you consider sodium a micro? I know it is, but everyone is focused because of water retention..ect
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    My sugars were always WAY over. I deactivated that part of my logging as it was doing my head in. It's almost impossible to be under (for me) with milk, fruit & of course the sugar in my coffee!

I've cut back on my sugar in coffee & how many coffee's a day I have, it's done jack *kitten* so meh, do what works for you :smile:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yes and i believe its impossible to not go over if you eat fruit. Oh well! Knowing im alreayd over on sugar keeps me from thinking its okay to eat a cookie:)
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hi, would you consider sodium a micro? I know it is, but everyone is focused because of water retention..ect

yes it is
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't pay very much attention to sugars. If I'm not double my allowance, I'm doing better than usual!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I pay more attention to my main macros being carbs, proteins, fats. I know I don't go over my sugar so I worry about meeting my macro goals
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

It's a micro nutrient and essential mineral. It can cause problems for some in excess...Sodium is the only micro I watch because of my hypertension...well, I also watch my saturated fats because of high cholesterol...not sure if that's a micro or just a subset of a macro???? Hmmmm. I'm a nerd...I dwell on such things.

Macros: Carb/Protein/Fat
  • Can_Change_Natalie
    Can_Change_Natalie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I’m having the same problem just having my breakfast iv reached my limited iv realised that I’m never going to be under but just trying to make sure I’m not eating unnecessary sugar. and trying to aim for more natural sugars.
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    I understand MFP counts all sugars not just the empty kind. Lots of fruit is good for you but adds sugars according to MFP. If you don't have fruit your nails start to get brittle and get those white lines across them. I don't fuss too much about sugars because it virtually all comes from fruit for me. And I don't eat 2 together. And I don't eat it at night. Makes it easy.
  • Katie9191
    Options
    I try and watch my sugar totals each day when logging. I didn't at first but I realized my body responds better when my sugars are lower. Even though the majority of my sugars were coming from fresh fruit and/or greek yogurt, I decided that sugar is sugar...no matter where its coming from. I found that when I keep my sugars in check, I crave it (and carbs in general) less and that has helped me quite a bit. I think its just important to find what works best for your particular body.
  • Minimouse13
    Options
    Ty all. I am not going to stress over it, as it comes from natural sources and I love eating fruit!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't watch sugars, I just watch total carbs
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Nope is just another simple carb to me. I do watch my total carbs; and I try to ensure 35 grams of fiber per day, other than that could care less.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    On a side note; considering sugars are simple carbs they do have the possibility of making large swings in your blood sugar levels. I have found that if I am feeling bad after a workout something with a little sugar helps the rebound. So I would only suggest tracking sugar levels if you are not active. If you are active they will burn off; but any fat you want to get rid of will just move to the back of the line.
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i watch them. and then i carry on with my day
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never understood that one either. I eat fruit and beans so I'm always WAAAYYYY over.