Doc appointment: Do I tell him I've been cutting carbs?

Options
Or do I wait for my blood workup (which I know will be good) and then tell him?

Replies

• nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I keep no secrets, why not tell him?
  • karenpeb
    karenpeb Posts: 23
    Options
    ALWAYS tell your doctor what you are up to.

If you don't feel comfortable saying what you are doing then find a doctor you can talk to.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    you should tell them, so they know how hard you are working!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My blood work is always good too. I never thought to mention to him that I eat everything I want in moderation, including carbs. Maybe I should?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to keep secrets from your doctor? This isn't an Easter Egg Hunt - give the Dr the info upfront.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    you should always tell your doctor about anything in your life with diet, illness, drug use stuff like that so they know what's going on. well, i tell my doctor everything lol
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you tell him? Also, how do you know it will be good?
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You need to answer any questions regarding your dietary intake honestly. If any lab results were to be inexplicably
    skewed the doctor needs to have some idea why.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'd wait for the good results then maybe the possible anti low carb pro big business grain promotion lecture won't be as severe!!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to keep secrets from your doctor? This isn't an Easter Egg Hunt - give the Dr the info upfront.

LOL
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I personally hate to keep anything from my doctor so when I was really cutting carbs a few years ago I told her about it. She gave me the speech and then scheduled me for blood work in two months. At that time I was only getting blood work every year so she was concerned enough to do the blood work. Well the workup looked great in the two month check up but I attribute that to losing weight. Seems that no matter what I have much better blood work anytime that I am in the losing mode.

So with that said, if you are dead set to cut the carbs then decide if you want the speech or not. Then maybe ask to get some early blood work just to show what it shows.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I can see it now... the doctor tells you your blood work is good and you come at him with "Guess what? I've been cutting carbs - HAHA!"

I bet the look of shock on his face will be completely worth it.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you withhold info from your doctor? If your relationship is that adversarial, you should seek new physician.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Are Dr.'s against cutting carbs?
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Depends on how severely you are planning to cut back your carbs. You can tell her, but if you are doing it too much, you will get that lecture everyone is referring to. Mine was very upset with me and told me all kinds of horror stories about how my kidneys would fail.. and etc.I was doing really well on it and it really upset me.
    In the long run, it was"one of those diets" that worked really well until I tried to eat normally again and then I gained all the weight back. :tongue:
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    YES. Always discuss health issues with your doctor!! Why wouldn't you?! are you afraid he/she will tell you what you are doing is not good? If so, man up and face the music. And if what you're doing is good, he/she will be happy! So there is no downside.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

I'll share a doctor visit "secret" with you - go in a week before you are scheduled and get your blood drawn.

This way, when you see your doctor, they will be discussing where you are right now - not where you were 3, 6, 9, 12 months ago.

I have no idea why they are not routinely set up like this - but I've never had a doctor object to this - and it makes the session 100% more effective.

Now, how this relates to your question: With your good results in hand - you will be quite confident in your discussion (which will be easy - since most doctors do not argue with empirical success).
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

I'll share a doctor visit "secret" with you - go in a week before you are scheduled and get your blood drawn.

This way, when you see your doctor, they will be discussing where you are right now - not where you were 3, 6, 9, 12 months ago.

I have no idea why they are not routinely set up like this - but I've never had a doctor object to this - and it makes the session 100% more effective.

Now, how this relates to your question: With your good results in hand - you will be quite confident in your discussion (which will be easy - since most doctors do not argue with empirical success).

What a great tip! I am due (well, overdue) for a checkup and it never occurred to me to do the blood stuff ahead of time, but it certainly makes great sense. I'll do it, thanks!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    What is a 'doctor'?