Im sure this has been asked a million times

Options
Do you eat back all your exercise calories? Also what are some good Warm up quad stretches before an exercise?

Replies

• olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes...yes it has been asked a million times. :wink:
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    you will get different answers from everyone you ask.
    personally, i feel like what is the point in burning all those calories if I'm going to eat them all back! lol but seriously, i don't eat back my calories. i completely ignore the whole "net calorie" thing. this is the only site I've used that has told me to eat back the calories i have burnt.
    its all about your opinion. do whats best for you (:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,120 Member
    Options
    Yes. Warm up before exercise....you can Google quad stretches/images. It would be easier than me trying to describe them.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,120 Member
    Options
    Wait. Was there some bait and switch just now?
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    oops, you changed the topic on me lol
  • jennate2006
    jennate2006 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sorry my phone keeps hitting submit when Im not done. I will be getting an Iphone soon!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    before you get more bad advice - eat them back, MFP sets it up so your deficit is already built into your daily total (usually too large of a deficit)....not eating back exercise cals = undereating.

and i prefer dynamic stretching for warm ups. Walking lunges are good.
  • keepcalmmoveon
    Options
    Almost everyone I know eats at least half of them back, if not all. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • Ready_Set_Go
    Options
    I do, or at least most of them. The days I run I find I need a little extra
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Your daily deficit is built in to your calorie goal. If you don't eat your calories back you will cut in to the calories that you need to maintain basic functions. This is a good way to screw up your metabolism and slow down/stop your weight loss.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Dude! You got some geek skills!

The answer to eat or not to eat exercise cals back depends on what method you are using to calculate your caloric goal.

The simplest answer is: if you are using MFP guidelines to figure out your calories, then YES do eat those calories. If you log exercise into MFP, it automatically adds them to your calorie allowance for the day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Some but not all, because I don't trust the MFP exercise database and want to err on the side of caution.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I used to ignore exercise calories, but I definitely eat them back on weight lifting days. If I don't, then I'll be more sore the next morning and that won't help me to get to the next workout.