Ladies who lifted and lost weight, help!

2»

Replies

• hlpatton
    hlpatton Posts: 34 Member
    Thank you everyone for the fantastic replies. This was just the motivation I needed to stay on track with lifting! One more question, how long does the water retention usually last? I typically have DOMS for a day or two after lifting.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Thank you everyone for the fantastic replies. This was just the motivation I needed to stay on track with lifting! One more question, how long does the water retention usually last? I typically have DOMS for a day or two after lifting.

Mine is 24-48 hours, depending how well I re-hydrate and quite how much I challenged myself in the workout. So I usually lift in the evenings and weigh myself in the morning on the day after the day after I lifed (eg lift Weds eve, weight Fri am). YMMV.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    While watching some of the older episodes of The Biggest Loser some of the females who had sort of "meh" lbs lost had THE best inches lost on their frames. I'd say those contestants definitely do their share of work... more than probably what I could do unless I had about 10 cups of coffee every hour :P
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    The basic concept to keep in mind is that muscle weighs for than fat. If you are replacing your fat stores with new muscle it is possible that the number on your scale won't budge, it might even go up a little. If your being diligent about your training and diet, than I recommend not giving the scale so much heed and instead focus on your body composition.

^ THIS ^
    I lift 3 x a week but do cadrio as well and although the scale losses have slowed (about 0.5lbs per week) I have seen great losses inch wise: I'm fitting into smaller sizes and looking better and better in the buff :blushing: (if i do say so myself!

IMO if you mix up your strength and cardio (and stick to your macros!!!!) you should still see some lbs shift. Honestly though I'd rather look and feel stronger and leaner than worry about the last 5lbs on the scales.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    The old saying "muscle weighs more than fat" is correct, assuming you're talking about it in relation to physical volume...

What this thread really needs to start talking about is actual body composition, and not just body weight. Get hydrostatically dunked/scanned/bodpodded and you will know exactly where you stand from a LBM/Fat perspective. Guessing by looking in the mirror or hopping on a scale isn't going to tell you what you really want to know.

Here is a good example of body composition change with weight gain and improvement in aesthetic appearance:
    tumblr_mgyk94fto81s1u8aoo1_500.jpg

OP, what I'm trying to say is that your body composition can change for the better (lower fat, higher LBM) with no change, or even a small a weight gain. What is your ultimate goal? Aesthetics? Strength?

I hope this helps.

Amazing transformation. Is the image from a Success Story on here? Don't worry, I'm not a stalker, just curious as I want to show this to a friend.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Here's a good body transformation example:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

superherostaci.jpg
    She's 11 pounds heavier in the picture on the right.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Well, I'm not a lady, but I can try to offer some insight as this seems to be a fairly common issue.
    The basic concept to keep in mind is that muscle weighs for than fat. If you are replacing your fat stores with new muscle it is possible that the number on your scale won't budge, it might even go up a little. If your being diligent about your training and diet, than I recommend not giving the scale so much heed and instead focus on your body composition.

Actually muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound is a pound....just fat takes up more room than muscle does. So the leaner and stronger you become and the more muscles you build you could just be losing fat cells and gaining muscles and the scale wont budge because you are replacing the pound of fat with a pound of lean muscle. make sense? if i dont make sense i do apologize.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

And a square meter of fat is the same as a square meter of muscle - it's just semantics - don't be a ****