how long did it take before you liked to go running...

Options

Replies

• sisterofseven
    sisterofseven Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Never! I do love the feeling after I've been though - it keeps me going back for more :-)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I need to get off the belt and on the street...

Absolutely - running on the treadmill is torture.

Running to get somewhere or see new stuff or just be in nature - that's the good stuff.

iPod Shuffle is a must for me.

I like to map out new courses using Google Maps.
  • DlowG
    DlowG Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been doing C25K and you know... I have finally hit a point where I REALLY love my runs. I just completed week6 day 3 and I can run for 23 minutes. I think what made me love it finally was owning it. Making it my own battle. I finally don't care how fast everyone else is running or what incline or how long. I just run for me and no one else and it is like nothing else when you reach that point where you just zone out and really don't think about anything.... It's great, really
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Hated it always. Gave it up and started lifting. Much happier now.
  • Ssand_257
    Ssand_257 Posts: 90
    Options
    I hated running on the treadmill, so I tried running on the track and that was worse, just running in circles all day... it wasn't until i started running outside that it became something i loved to do! Especially if you find somewhere new to run and you get to explore while your run, that is my favorite part of running!
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have been running consistently for about 7.5 months, and I find that I like it AFTER I am done! I get ready, either treadmill with google maps, or outside- feel good, get going, and have to constantly tell myself not to quit. Some days of course are better than others but I am up to 5 mile runs and shooting for 10K by this fall- have signed up for a Ragnar Relay (you can find them online). I can't explain it but before and after I look forward to it, despite a few bouts of shin splints and achy calves as I began to change up my terrain. During the runs though, I often think about just walking and taking breaks- you have to keep at it, it is far easier to stop doing, but you only get results by pushing through. What I really love is how my body is changing for the better, I sleep better, I have fewer mood swings, and have been so healthy all winter long- Not one cold- knock on wood!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Coming up on week 4 of C25K and I don't look forward to doing it the runs, just completing them.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I cannot run on a treadmill for the life of me. I get so bored, so I completely ditch running in the winter. Make sure you're not running too fast if you're going for distance. It should be relaxed and relatively easy.
  • Momma_of3
    Momma_of3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was wondering myself how long it takes to become comfortable in running. I just recently started walking/jogging & trying to run every evening. I know I have a long way to go, but is there a technique or is it a gradual process? I have noticed I am in love with the feeling of getting fit, and music definitely helps me keep moving. The problem, for me when I start to run, is I cant catch my breath. I really enjoy the workout, but I sure hope it becomes easier so I can run longer.
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Been running off and on since 2007. 7 full marathons, countless half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks, 5 triathlons later and I still don't enjoy it.

I like burning a million calories, feeling accomplished afterwards, meeting new people at races, getting medals for finishing races, and bragging about it afterwards.

But during the actual running part, I am fighting with myself the whole time to keep going. I do intervals (aka the Galloway method). The walk breaks are my favorite part.

I'm still trying to like it. LOL
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How long did it take? lots of years... I hated it all my life; until I started working up on my resistance about three months ago in the elliptical; and I finally tried it three weeks ago and things started going really nice (RunKeeper has been an incredible aid in this). Today I did my first 10K, in less than 90 mins :) But what definitely hooked me was the change in my legs and butt :happy:
  • Eclectictaste
    Options
    Hated it for 42 years, one day I decided millions of runners can't be wrong, bought good running shoes, started running. After a few weeks I experienced runner's high after 3 mile run, feeling giddy and euphoric. Started thinking about marathons. Broke my leg about a month later, haven't been able to run much since.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I started loving it when I was cleared to go do it by my obgyn. And honestly, if the weather wasn't such poop, I think i would be enjoying it more (as of right now I am having to run indoors on a track and hate it). I refuse to run on a treadmill (sorry to those who do, but its too boring and tend to find that I want outdoors) so the track it is until I run beside the river again.
  • moni_tb_192
    Options
    I was wondering myself how long it takes to become comfortable in running. I just recently started walking/jogging & trying to run every evening. I know I have a long way to go, but is there a technique or is it a gradual process? I have noticed I am in love with the feeling of getting fit, and music definitely helps me keep moving. The problem, for me when I start to run, is I cant catch my breath. I really enjoy the workout, but I sure hope it becomes easier so I can run longer.

Focus on breathing, if you inhale through your mouth you might get a cramp! I've been following this training plan, and it's worked wonders :Dhttp://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-5k/8?calendarType=MONTHLY&menuSelection=SCHEDULE&userClassRegistrationId=508430&startDate=2/10/13&page=0
  • moni_tb_192
    Options
    I started loving it when I was cleared to go do it by my obgyn. And honestly, if the weather wasn't such poop, I think i would be enjoying it more (as of right now I am having to run indoors on a track and hate it). I refuse to run on a treadmill (sorry to those who do, but its too boring and tend to find that I want outdoors) so the track it is until I run beside the river again.

Why did you have to get clearance by your obgyn?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I started liking running ... never. So I don't do it.

Why would you force yourself to do an exercise you don't like??

Go swimming and enjoy it.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Nothing like running outside! The dreadmill is a great fill in, but not my first choice. Personally, I found a love for running when I was able to run for 20 minutes, it just clicked and I before I knew it I was doing a 10K. Hope you don't give up!
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I ran 5-6 days a week for almost 3 years... anyways, I never have liked running BUT:smile: even though I don't like it it is good for me. If you are always pushing yourself it will never be easier, you will just be faster.
  • Momma_of3
    Momma_of3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check it out!
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No one likes running, even marathon runners hate running. Running sucks......That said its very addictive, kinda like heroin. Have FUN!