859 calories shopping?

Options
Ok, I have never logged in exercise as shopping, like my normal weekly shopping trips. However, today I strapped on my Polar FT4 HRM when I got to the mall. I 'shopped' (intermittent walking and shopping for clothes for three kids, a 20 min lunch break) for 3 hours, 51 minutes and according to the monitor I burned 859 calories. I don't think I should record that amount. We are fairly quick shoppers- in and out so a good bit of that time really was spent walking and moving around, back and forth to get other sizes etc. Maybe 2/3 of the time I was for sure moving about and walking beyond what I normally would in a day.

Opinions?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Well, you have to figure some of that is your standard burn (what you would burn even if just sitting) - my hourly average is 90 calories just sitting. (If yours is similar, and it may not be, it would be nearly 360 - so you may have burned around an extra 500). Have you worn your HRM for three days and averaged the three numbers to get your average TDEE?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

this is not exercise..this is just daily activity..

I walk up and down the stairs at work 20 times a day ..I do not count that as exercise...
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

I walk up and down the stairs at work 20 times a day ..I do not count that as exercise...

No, this is not daily activity. I do not go shopping at the mall and walk for the most part of 4 hours. I do not count weekly shopping trips to walmart etc. I was also toting bags of clothes, shoes
  • kelcro40
    Options
    Well, you have to figure some of that is your standard burn (what you would burn even if just sitting) - my hourly average is 90 calories just sitting. (If yours is similar, and it may not be, it would be nearly 360 - so you may have burned around an extra 500). Have you worn your HRM for three days and averaged the three numbers to get your average TDEE?

No, I haven't even owned it for 3 days lol, but that is a good idea. Thanks!
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing we are at about the same place so I understand the wanting to know, but the heart rate monitor isn't really for that because it doesn't tell the difference between your normal resting rate and your extra calorie burn rate. If you really want to know what you actually burn in a day every day so you can eat accurately to your deficit, I'd go with a bodymedia fit. Then again, I just got mine and I love it - so I could be bias.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

This.

And heart rate monitors are designed to estimate calories for steady state cardio aerobic in nature ( between 40% of VO2 max and the lactate threshold). They are not designed for low intensity activity. It is likely over estimating your calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't record any of it.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Direclty from Polar, they say that the watch is not as accurate for calories burned if your heart rate isn't above 110 or 120. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's an amount that you would be hitting if you were at the gym, not just shopping. Were you sweating? Ask Polar.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

I agree, but what if you are set to "sedentary"? Would you then log it so you eat enough?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    no, just no...

No, this is not daily activity. I do not go shopping at the mall and walk for the most part of 4 hours. I do not count weekly shopping trips to walmart etc. I was also toting bags of clothes, shoes

Ummm so a trip to the mall counts, but a trip to walmart does not? I am missing something here...?

You really should not log daily activities - shopping, work, cleaning, walking to car, etc....as "exercise" just my opinion...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

HRMs are not accurate to figure TDEE either. There is a measurable correction between calories burned and heart rate only under specific circumstances. They cannot estimate calories accurately for lower intensity activities. See above link.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    no, just no...

I agree, but what if you are set to "sedentary"? Would you then log it so you eat enough?

no change sedentary to light activity...
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If it is a "not-everyday-activity" I would log about half of the time as "walking 2mph" or similar. This way you get some exercise calories but won't be over-estimating.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

I agree. I am a university student and I am running around ALL day between classes, running errands, going to work all over the place. If I were to estimate, it's probably added up to a couple miles a day in running around. But I don't count it as exercise.

Hope this helps!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    no, just no...

No. It's not daily activity. But I still wouldn't log it. I'd consider it a bonus.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Direclty from Polar, they say that the watch is not as accurate for calories burned if your heart rate isn't above 110 or 120. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's an amount that you would be hitting if you were at the gym, not just shopping. Were you sweating? Ask Polar.

My Polar FT4 said to wear it for three 24-hour periods to see my average daily burn...why would the packaging say that if the compnay says otherwise?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

This.

And heart rate monitors are designed to estimate calories for steady state cardio aerobic in nature ( between 40% of VO2 max and the lactate threshold). They are not designed for low intensity activity. It is likely over estimating your calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

^ This. Only use HRM for exercise that makes you sweat.
  • kelcro40
    Options
    no, just no...

Ummm so a trip to the mall counts, but a trip to walmart does not? I am missing something here...?

You really should not log daily activities - shopping, work, cleaning, walking to car, etc....as "exercise" just my opinion...

No, walmart trips are my normal routine. Are you reading what I am posting? The mall trip for almost 4 hours was more than I normally do in a week.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    no, just no...

No, walmart trips are my normal routine. Are you reading what I am posting? The mall trip for almost 4 hours was more than I normally do in a week.

no, walking around the mall is not exercise sorry .it just is not..

I went to the mall last weekend and walked around for two hours..that is not exercise..that is something I did during the day aka daily activity...
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If it is not something part of my everyday routine, I will enter some or all of it in. If I am walking during the majority of my shopping, what is the difference between that and walking around the mall for exercise? It's something extra that I don't typically do. I haven't had any problems with weight loss because I count them - but I don't do 4 hour shopping trips every week either.