Hope I make it through the weekend

Options
Does everyone find that the weekend is the hardest when trying to stick to eating healthy? Your hubby and kids want to go eat out and then suddenly you are surrounded by the worst kinds of foods! We went out to eat tonight and I had soup and salad, but I wanted to leap over the table and scarf down my husband's fried onion rings soooo very badly! Don't worry I didn't, but I wanted to! I keep telling my hubby we need to just eat at home. That is the best way to stay on track. Well, I guess I can't blame him for wanting to eat something besides grilled chicken and baked fish :) Oh well, wish me luck this weekend!

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    Options
    I deal with this every weekend. Thats when my husband is off and we actually go out. So I try to suggest things to do to where we have to pack a lunch and go out. I know if I went to Olive Garden right now I would cheat! Good Luck, I know how it is!
  • candicemcl
    Options
    Uhhh I could have wrote this, my husband wanted to go into the city the other day while all the kids were at school...I knew this meant a lunch out, I stressed over it, we are just starting to change to healthier habits slowly but the idea of going out to eat or even to families for a meal terrifies me! A restaurant I can atleast look up the info online in most cases but I don't want to ask all family to start bringing recipes cards and writing down exactly what they put in...and the serving size :-S I ended up saying I really wanted to get my workout in earlier with a friend (which I did do) and he went alone...meaning he didn't eat out either.
    My mom has suggested when going out...halving your meal, eat half then but bring the rest home and have it the next day for a meal (or give to hubby) I like this idea BUT I still have to get the control to only eat half right lol
    I like Jessica's idea too, pick a activity with a park that you have to bring a picnic, the kids love that!
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Weekends are my downfall for sure!!! I have the same issues with weekends. I try to squeeze in a bit of extra exercise like a long hike/walk or playing Wii with the kids....that way I don't feel too guilty when I splurge. I find if I eat something healthy and filling at home before I go out, it does help me not eat as much wherever we go. I also try to have a glass of water in between drinks and choose one that aren't going to totally kill my diet....like wine or light beer/coolers. If I we do go out to a restaurant, I always ask for dressing/sauces on the side, that way I used less. I had no ideas how many calories were in those things until I started tracking. So far so good with my weekend...but then again its only Friday and I might be going out tomorrow night. Good luck!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I go out on the weekends but we plan it ahead of time ... we know exactly where we want to go and what we're getting.
  • PecanTan
    PecanTan Posts: 47
    Options
    Weekends are the worst, I know how you feel I did the same as you I took the kids to McDonald's they got chicken wraps with a med fry and a HiC orange drink and my husband had two not one but two fish sandwiches like you the fries where calling my name, but I did not answer them back came back home and had my bake fish and slices of cucumber along with my water. No one said that this journey would be easy and that we would not be tempted and sometime fail but our success is we don't obsess on those days and we make it through to another day doing the right thing. Hang in there and remember there is always going to be a weekend it's all about how we get through it. You are doing great keep it up...:flowerforyou:
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    Face it everyday is hard when it comes to food. Food is a drug:smokin: .

Tonight being Friday my hubby & I go out to dinner. It doesn't have to be fancy or formal but I do try hard to stay within my limits. If my Hubby orders a Cheeseburger & Fries...I order a Hamburger with extra produce with No fries. He has a Coke & I have a bottled Water or Tea w/lemon.

It's when he falls asleep at night & nobody is awake...I start to roam into the kitchen hmmmm It's the alone time that scares me. It's boredem eating period.

But hey that's why were here to confess our issues & learn by it...right? right. Bon apetite:drinker:
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    I agree that weekends are the hardest...my hubby eats whatever he wants and stays skinny. For the longest time I felt I could do the same...ha! Now I always make sure to look up the menu online and figure out the healthiest option. I tend to opt for grilled chicken sandwiches without any sauce. Gotta skip the fries as well, although sometimes I cheat and go w/ a small fry. We don't go out to eat but maybe once a month...so this helps me from going overboard every weekend as well.
    If I do go overboard, I just remind myself that Monday is a new start and going over my calories one a day a week isn't going to undo all my hard work.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Tip for restaurant eating for those who want to eat a portion of their order and take the rest home. I have the same problem, "the road to the:devil: is paved with good intentions," but then you start "picking" at the other half and pretty soon, there is so much gone.."oh well, not enough to take home, so might as well eat it so it doesn't go to waste"--instead it goes to waist!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh:

My solution is, ask that a carry out container be brought to the table when your meal is served. Before you take a SINGLE bite, divide up your food, stashing you "second meal" in the container. Then place it somewhere where you can't see it, like on the booth seat beside you. If you can't get it out of sight, get it out of reach by giving it to someone on the opposite side of the table...too far for you to reach. Then concentrate on enjoying what you have in front of you, and remember how much you will enjoy it later, when you can eat the other half without guilt. Then congratulate yourself for ruling your food,:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: instead of the other way around!!

For me, weekends aren't particularly difficult. I live with three pesky little doggies, and they love to go out but aren't allowed in restaurants,:laugh: so I don't have to worry about being compelled to eat out--not by them, anyway. My problem is I am involved in 2 organizations that almost always have lunch or dinner meetings. Tonight there was one at a pizza parlour!! YIKES!! Fortunately, they also had a salad bar. The other organization had a meeting last night at a 50's style diner..hamburgers, fries, and deep-fried broccoli--not kidding--it WAS on the menu, not to mention the milkshakes, etc. I also found they have a low carb menu on request, so I had a grilled chicken breast on a bed of salad greens, and used my own dressing, (salad spritzer), and water to drink.

I have eaten in restaurants throughout my weight loss over the last year. I try to steer toward those that have nutritional info available, as this does make it easier. If I have a choice, Applebee's is one of my favorite places. They have good choices on their menu. If you request that your steak is prepared without salt, they will do it without giving you attitude., and will give you dressings on the side and baked potato with fixins on the side. I also found a Chinese restaurant near my home that is very accommodating about no salt and no msg, and they will hold the sauce if you request it, or put it on the side.