Scared to weigh in

Options
So.. I started this journey out at 205 lbs. I am down to 196 (@ 5'5") and feeling okay. It has been about two weeks since my last weigh-in and I don't want to get on the scale. My boyfriend and other friends (including my bfs mom) said that I look skinnier and I feel skinnier... But the last time I stepped on the scale.. I hadn't lost weight.. Just inches. (Dont know how many because I have no way to measure).
Anyone else have this problum? I get soo discouraged when I step on the scale and I dont see any change. I have a really hard time with my body image and am really hard on myself. I never ever change in front of a mirror because it will put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If your feeling good and looking good and think you will get discouraged, don't weigh! Lots off people weigh monthly or less often, some not at all. If it doesn't help you, don't do it!
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I became afraid to weigh in when I knew damn well I was slipping and not sticking to my nutrition plan. When I finally got on the scale, months later, I had gained a substantial amount of weight! I had also experienced clothing getting too tight or not fitting at all any more ... *sigh*
  • willprovost
    willprovost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Your weight on that scale is a measurement. But it isn't the only, or the most important measurement you an work with. There are basically two kinds:

1. Objective measurements. These are quantifiable measurements. Weight, waist circumference, body fat percentage and height are all of this type. The nice thing is that they can be accurately measured, and this makes it easier to measure differences over time.

2. Subjective measurements. These are not measurable... Things like: You look thinner, you don't get out of breath as easy, and it's gotten easier to tie your shoes (laugh, but it has for me, even with only 20 lbs I felt a difference.)

Which are the most important? Neither. Or both. Actually, there's no good answer. Sorry! The thing is, if I lose say 50 pounds, but I still feel fat... that 50 pounds really doesn't matter much to me. On the other hand, if I feel thinner and step on the scale and nothing has changed in two weeks, it sucks.

So, what I suggest is that you step back from yourself, and realize that the reason you are in the shape you're in is because of choices you have made. These choices were all in your head... and so is your self-image. This is not meant to be de-motivating or insulting! Because, obviously you have made the choice in your mind to change. You will take time for your body to change... and you will take time for your mind to, also.

Don't be afraid of the scale. Get your weight. Whether it's a loss or gain, or still the same won't really matter if you keep your head in the game. It's just a number.

Also, you can take measurements of waist, neck, etc. with a cheap measuring tape found in sewing sections of department stores. You can also measure yourself with a piece of yarn or string, just put your finger where it meets, then lay it out on a yardstick or metal tape measure and get the measurement that way.

In any case... Don't get discouraged. Obviously, you have positive support from those around you. Set your goals, then achieve them.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hear you, however, like he said in above post it is MANY things. This is a LIFESTYLE change. If you FEEL better, focus on that. If your clothes fit better, focus on that. Not only is it about the scale, but EVERYTHING. I personally feel better, my skin is healthier and softer (according to my husband) and my hair is growing faster than it has in a long time! I went yesteray and purchased new workout pants. same brand, same style, but ONE SMALLER SIZE! Now, keep in mind, I actually weigh a couple pounds MORE than when I purchased these pants last year! I kid you not! I lift light weights and do a lot of floor exercises and one thing to keep in mind, MUSCLE weighs 3X MORE than FAT. 3X more! So, if you are exercising (I see you walk a lot) you are building muscle and probably do not even realize it! When I saw the weight gain on the scale I did not let it get me down, becuase I knew I was changing for my life, not just for a few quick pounds. :) My jeans fit great, I have gone down a back size on my bra, from a 36" to a 34" and still weigh more than before. Hopefully this will help assuage your fears. :) Either way, keep up with the walking and dietary changes and it WILL pay off over time.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh, to help put it into perspective, picure a box butter. THAT is one pound. Now, put 3 on the counter, stacked together. That is 3lbs of fat. Now, take another box of butter. THAT is one pound of muscle. See the difference? Now picture THAT on your body. When exercising you build muscle. :)
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Oh, to help put it into perspective, picure a box butter. THAT is one pound. Now, put 3 on the counter, stacked together. That is 3lbs of fat. Now, take another box of butter. THAT is one pound of muscle. See the difference? Now picture THAT on your body. When exercising you build muscle. :)

4 pounds of butter equals one pound of muscle? Nope. A pound equals a pound equals a pound whether it be fat, muscle, feathers or bricks. A pound of muscle is denser than a pound of fat which makes your story even more confusing.