Errrr I didn't even lose a pound? WTF

Options
The only pound I lost this week was the ones that fell out of my pocket. I did the 5:2 diet (2 days fasting) + reduced my calories to 1500 on the rest of the days. I worked out EVERY day for at least 45 minutes. I also took high caffeine pills to help.

And nothing. I stayed exactly the same.

The only thing I can think of is that I did do weights every day (not tons but a lot)

Please help. Any advice? Whyyyyyy couldn't I have just lost one to keep me motivated?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is this your first week?

If yes, then you need to stop and take a breath. It takes your body 4-6 weeks to adapt to any new change...
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It takes at least 4 weeks for YOU to notice a change in your body.
    It takes at least 6-8 weeks for your FAMILY to notice a change in your body.
    It takes at least 8-12 weeks for your FRIENDS to notice a change in your body.

This is a quote I got from another source and I have found it to be very true.

This is all assuminig that you are losing weight in a healthy way.

Breathe. Give it some time. You will get there with determination and PATIENCE :)
  • kiwiwizard
    kiwiwizard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hear your frustration when you've been working so hard - it isn't fair & reality bites! I workout like a demented person & have been plateaued for last 7-8 weeks so I understand. Do you feel you could do another week just to see if anything does happen? If not, maybe your body type/metabolism/ would burn more effectively on a different program?
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    surprised no one has mentioned water retention yet... when you start exercising your body retains water to help heal muscles that havent been used in a while.
  • Idabud
    Idabud Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, just keep at it. It really does take so much time and dedication. I started at the end of January and have only lost 6 pounds. But I will be so happy now if I lose another 6 by April and and then another 5 by May, I will be where I want to be. You can do it!
  • danceydancetime
    Options
    If this is your first week, chill out. You may be retaining water, or putting on a smidge of muscle. Also, fasting was probably not a great idea. If you put your body into starvation mode, your body will hold on to all of the food you put into yourself and keep all of the calories it can.
  • jamsnanny
    Options
    Have you thought about changing things up, maybe a day of 2000 calories versus 1500 or a day without the normal exercise routine? Our bodies adapt to what we do and what we eat, sometimes a little change will give you the kick you need to get your weight loss going again.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow 5:2er!

Glad to hear that you just started out and embarking on a new eating regime such as IF. Like what many have suggested it may take a while for your body to catch up with your new eating routine particularly if you`ve also just started exercising as well.

One thing I might suggest, is try sticking to your TDEE on feed days and I highly doubt 1500 cuts it especially if you`re only consuming 500 or so on fast days.

Calculate your TDEE and stick at or just a tad bit below that number, and I think that would aid in your body`s ability to drop the pounds. Restricting calories severely particularly such as what you are doing now ( weekly average of 1200kcals) since your exercising will do more harm than good in the long term, which would most likely lead to a higher degree of plateaus during your weight-loss efforts and a higher percentage of a reduction in lean body mass.

Keep at it, eat modestly on feed days, and be patient. Your more likely to see crazy fluctuations on this eating plan considering the variation in your calorie intake during the course of the week. Thus weight at most once a week, same day and time.

Good luck!
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I am new to this and didn't see all the replies. Weirdly I weighed myself later and I had lost 3 pounds? Thanks for all your support.
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First off, relax. I saw a weight increase my first week (and I have lost 8 lbs the past 4 weeks, so I am doing it right).

Second, make sure you weigh yourself at the same time of the day (wearing nothing if possible, or the same clothes if not).

I weigh myself every Tuesday morning after I have gone to the bathroom, but before I have eaten anything.