Venison Recipes?

Options
Schmidty102
Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
Well, it's that time of year that we need to start cleaning out our freezer. We have been in and out of the state a lot since fall, and have not touched much of the two deer that are sitting in the freezer.

Does anyone have any good recipes for venison? Unfortunately most of our recipes add quite a bit of fat to such a lean meat.

Replies

• Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can tweak most of the recipes you presently have to be more suitable....... do not flour or use a lot less, spray instead of butter, fat free mushroom soup, or use onion mix and fat free broth(add cooked potatoes mashed for a thickener) We do not add any fat to our ground venison and use it in hamburgers, meat loafs, pasta sauce etc., if that helps?
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Need more.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I take a roast, cut it into slices, soak it for a day or two in a combination of vinegar, hot sauce and red pepper. I then lay them out in my dehyrator to make venison jerky. This is the best tasting venison you'll ever put in your mouth. I can't keep the stuff.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I make stew in a pressure cooker. Basically add all the ingredients that are in vegetable soup, some tomato paste and water, and some pieces of deer meat. When it starts to pressure, put it on half heat, and let it go for about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let it lose pressure on its own. Makes the meat very tender and juicy. You can add all the ingredients under your recipes to get an accurate calorie count for what you put in it.
  • GymBeast2
    GymBeast2 Posts: 81
    Options
    Please send some my way!!!

Good luck on the recipes....I will continue to drool over here!
  • MVPJess
    MVPJess Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I slow cook all my Deer, Elk, Moose ect. in the winter months. For deer I place in a slow cooker with water just up to the sides of the roast but not over. Add a little Worcestershire sauce to the exposed meat. 1 Table spoon of each: Dill, Celery Salt, Curry, Himalayan Salt, Onion powder, garlic powder. I then put 4 celery stalks. take a half a pepper and slice it in rings and put them in. Cook on high for 6 hours. I remove the veggies from the liquid. I take half and make my hubby his gravy. the other half is for me to make soup with.
    Most of our friends do not even know they are eating deer when done like this. This is a clean way to make this.