Im sooo effing sore!!

Options
I'm a pretty big girl, and last week I decided to just stop being a puuussy and just work out. I lost 10lbs week one. This week I decided to work my *kitten* off. I've been doing 30DS and some Bob Harper workouts and today I woke up so sore I could barely move. If I stand too long my legs get shaky, and they pound even when I'm sitting, it even hurts my arms typing this. I have worked my *kitten* off this week and am up .2 which blooooows. Why am I not losing if I am eating super healthy and working out everyday? Also, if I am this sore, should I work out tomorrow? So sorry if these questions are stupid.

Replies

• tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    All I can say is sore is good. Painful sore is not good. I've been there and it is not fun. This painful sore should last you a day or 2. I always like to work through the pain. Maybe not as hard as you did to get the soreness in the first place but keep doing some sort of exercise. Also, for the pain maybe take an advil or 2 to help that out. Keep it up and the results will follow!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    because you may be drinking more water now that you're working out and that you're building muscle? Your body may just be in shock because you've had a drastic change in diet and exercise.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't burn yourself out. You might make it so that you dread working out. Make sure you know all the proper numbers (your TDEE, BMR) and that you're eating enough calories to be able to recover. Protein is important for muscle recovery. Just a side note: I try to get a minimum of 100g of protein a day. Yesterday I got 250g). Ten pounds is a big loss for one week, and much of it was probably water. I think it's safe to say with the amount of pain you're in from exercise, you are retaining some of that water now as your body tries to repair itself. This is common, and normal; your body will fluctuate constantly. That's why some people only weigh once a week or once every two weeks, so that they don't get upset when they've gained five pounds overnight.

Continue to eat at a HEALTHY caloric deficit, keep up with the strength training, and be sure to take measurements. Measurements will keep you going when the scale makes you want to quit. This is a VERY SLOW process.

ETA: Go ahead and take a day off. I love to work out when I'm sore because it loosens my tight muscles up and makes me feel better, but if it was so bad that I couldn't sit without my legs throbbing, I would rest.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you're sore, you probably have a lot of water retention.
    Don't worry about it. That excess will come off within the next few weeks, as your body gets used to the program.

I would take a day or two off before the next workout.
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    Thanks for the comments:) I am going to take the day off working out and maybe just go for a walk instead. Thanks again:-)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the soreness while it lasts cause soon you'll be wondering if you are working out hard enough cause you aren't sore anymore! :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I always work through the soreness no matter what, I usually feel better afterwards.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    didn't i read that 30ds wasn't meant to be done every day?
    there's a thread about it somewhere. 30ds was just a good ad line.
    your muscles need rest time to grow and repair.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Walk, stretch, hot bath, drink water, take ibuprofen...... You'll be ready to go again in a couple days. You might want to look into some lower impact workouts and build up to 30 DS but do withever works for you.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Also, if I am this sore, should I work out tomorrow?

My recommendation is to calm down with it a bit. You should be sore and quaking muscles are to be somewhat expected but if you can't stand -- you are most likely over doing it. If I were in your shoes I'd do yoga or pilates today - move move move and drink drink drink. Sitting still with sore muscles nearly always results in sore musles. Moving gets blood flowing to them and help repair them. That's my two cents. And Way To Go on being motivated to move! :flowerforyou: