Need running help.

kwardklinck
kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing the couch to 5 k for 5 weeks now. I have gone through the program just fine with no problems at all. Yesterday, I ran a full 20 minutes. It's probably the first time I've ever done this in my life. In that 20 minutes I got a little further than 2 miles. As soon as I got back home I felt really sick to my stomach and got a headache. I took a bath and tried to relax but the nausea just got worse. I had promised to make tacos for dinner and my son was hungry so I went in and started it for him. Then I vomited. It wasn't much because I'd only had a cracker with peanut butter in the previous 4 hours. I just didn't know this would happen. Has this happened to anyone and what can I do to keep it from happening again?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    First of all CONGRATS on your 20 minute run. That's awesome. I too started running using this program and am now an enthusiastic runner and plan my day around it.

Is it possible you have some kind of "bug"? If not, maybe dehydrated or low in potassium or sodium can sometimes cause extreme nausea and even vomiting. Then there's always the question of pregnancy, but I'm guess you know best to rule that out. :wink:

I hope you are feeling better today. Take it easy for a day or so. Walking is still an exercise. {hugs}
  • When I was younger if I pushed myself too hard at practice this would happen to me I'm pretty sure it has to do with dehydration and/or electrolytes...
  • kwardklinck
    I take a multivitamin so I think my potassium is fine. I don't think I drank as much water as usual that afternoon. I did have peanut butter on a cracker before. I always do that to get a little carb, protein, and salt before the run. I probably ate my snack too close to my running time, didn't drink enough water before, and I probably just pushed myself too hard. I hope it doesn't happen again because I want to run a 5 K in May but I hate being sick. IF this happens on a regular basis, I may just decide running is not for me.
  • I've always had a really rough time running so I admire you for running in the first place.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    I'm all new to running, so I really don't consider myself to be an expert... but one thing I know about fitness in general is that it's very important to stay hydrated. Do you take a water bottle along when you run?
    And also, I've always heard that you should eat within half an hour post workout (protein and carbs) to replenish your hard working body. Good luck ;)
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    IF this happens on a regular basis, I may just decide running is not for me.
    Or if it happens again, then go back a week or two in the program and do interval running and see how you feel. It's a trial and error kind of thing and everyone's body is different and it may change from day to day, week to week. 5K can even be done with intervals too, so don't give up that idea either.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Sounds like two things to me. Not enough water, and not enough food.

First I'm guessing you didn't drink enough water. So when you got in the bath, and your heart rate went up (part of your body working to keep you cool) it resulted in an elevated heart rate, which aggravated the dehydration. Which in turn causes nausea and vomiting. You're describing cardinal symptoms of dehydration, which I frequently treat during the summer.

The second is foods. I don't know for sure as insufficient water could cause what happened all by itself. But make sure you're eating enough.
  • kwardklinck
    I am suspecting dehydration at this point. The next morning I still feel kinda yucky and I can't seem to drink enough water. I know my food intake is fine because I'm on maintenance at the moment. I'm wondering if I should add some type of sports drink to replace the electrolytes or something?
  • When my daughter was in track in high school, every time she would finish a race she would have to go in a corner some where and vomit. It would only be after the first race and after that she was fine. Not quite sure what caused it, she wasn't having any other problems along with it. I suggested maybe she over did it or maybe got too hot. The post above me sounds right on too.
  • Vitamin Water Zero - No Calories has electrolytes...
  • electricgypsy
    electricgypsy Posts: 32 Member
    try and fit your meals around the run. one about an hour or two before and then a snack and a big drink after. i can barely move my *kitten* if haven't eaten before i go :)
  • kwardklinck
    Vitamin Water Zero - No Calories has electrolytes...

Thanks so much. I think I'll try this and maybe a banana as a prerun snack.
This discussion has been closed.