A different sort of NSV

Options
sarahkatara
sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
Yo MFP. Sup?
This is a status that I just posted on my profile. I'm posting as a topic for a few reasons:
1. this is for the people who are fighting every single to recover from an eating disorder and think it's impossible. IT'S NOT.
2. there are so many awful, disgusting, scary, and fatal influences on this site- and everywhere else- when it comes to eating disorders and I intend to be the opposite of that influence. Anyone who's known me on here knows how I fight against pro-eating disorder influences in any way I can.
3. even for the people out there who DON'T have eating disorders, YOU GET TOO OBSESSED WITH THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE TOO! Yes, YOU!

Please feel free to read a little of my story:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sarahkatara/view/more-of-my-story-for-what-it-s-worth-176011
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sarahkatara/view/making-my-way-back-helped-along-by-love-repost-475507

I'm just a girl who lived in the darkness for a long time and was lucky enough to have the opportunity to make it through to the other side. I feel it's my responisbility and it's also my extreme pleasure and goal in life, to turn the negativity, mistakes, lessons, triumphs, and all the stuff in between with others to give them the same chance I had. :heart:

Recovery- true recovery, and not one where you still listen to that evil hissing voice in your brain telling you you're not good enough- is possible. Where you love yourself, your body, and your life, with all of their infinite and beautiful flaws.

THE STATUS:

I feel wonderful, light, and free these days! I've been moving more and more away from counting and logging which is a good thing. I'm back on a normal schedule thanks to work, as much as work sucks, and it's moderating my eating kind of by default. I was doing my ZWOWs every day, haven't in about a week, but will get back to it. Best part of all? I feel an incredible sense of freedom from the scale and numbers and all that those things represent. Why? Well, I had to go to the doctor the other day. I don't normally let them weigh me because I figure I weigh myself enough, so I can tell them- so that's what I do. This was a pap smear appt so I'm standing in my little pink gown and no one and once the room had vacated, i was like, "hmmm....I do think I'll see what I weigh on this, since I'm naked, for ****s and giggles". So onto the scale I hopped. It's a doctor's scale so accurate, right? I mean, one of the ones where you slide the weights and everything. Legit scale, not digital. Middle of the day appt, after breakfast, lunch, snack, coffee and what do you know- I was 12 pounds LESS than on my digital scale at home in the morning, naked, with nothing in my stomach, after peeing. Hmmm...that's odd....I stood on that damn scale for at least 5 minutes in confusion. So I get dressed and I'm walking through the hallway to check out and no one was around so I hopped on another scale, this time fully clothed. Same weight, a few ozs higher. Hmmm, again! And back at home? 12 pounds more still! Crazy right? I've been puzzled but several people have told me that the doctor's scales ARE accurate, no i didn't do it wrong, and YES, that is weird. So, I guess it is reality! Point being, I thought I was this one number and was sort of down because of it. I haven't been actively trying to lose weight but you know, the number was a lot higher than i thought I wanted. This showed me that that number is utterly and totally unimportant to me and my life. And THAT is the one of the most freeing, light-as-air, joyful feelings I have ever experienced. I can honestly say- I am truly, fully recovered from my eating disorder. Now THAT my friends, THAT is worth every.single.minute. of hard work that recovery has been. Every minute.

***I also recently launched a website & support network to help people recovering from eating disorders or who are struggling with any body or self image and esteem issues. It's called Always Together, Never Alone. Please check me out and like me on Facebook and share with as many people as you can! I hope to one day turn Always Together, Never Alone into a non-profit agency to raise money and awareness for eating disorder education, research, and treatment. Thanks!***
http:// alwaystheregroup.webs.com
http:// wwww.facebook.com/alwaystogetherneveralone
alwaystheregroup@gmail.com
tumbleintorecoverywithme.tumblr.com
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!