Extreme Hunger After Long/ Intense Exercise Routines

Options
Does anyone experience insatiable hunger after an intense or a long exercise routine such as using the elliptical or swimming? When I exercise hard I seem to be very hungry afterwards and eat more than I do on not so intense exercise days. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You should eat more on days you work harder :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds rather normal
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I only experience crazy hunger when I run more than 10 miles. Otherwise, with regular workouts I just eat my exercise cals and don't feel hungry at all.
  • rivphoenix
    Options
    YES! That is why I, personally, stopped exercising. I decided I needed to get my food intake under control. I was eating bad foods because good ones where not satifying at all. I think I was eating double, if not more, calories on the days I would work out. I started a spiral of needing to work out because I pigged out the day before because of the workout...but I gained 8 lbs. This was not muscle, I was only doing 60 min of cardio, no resistance. I have been watching my foods and eating healthy again because those incredable attacks of hunger from working out were gone. I have lost most of those lbs in 3 weeks and started doing a bit of interval training with walking uphill. When I get on my bike, I will do interval for 20 rounds...1 min steady, 30 sec push hard, etc. This is supposed to give me a better workout in 20 min than my 60 min of consistence speed. No idea if I was doing it right or wrong or if it is just a question of will power in my case. But if you work out hard, you body wants the energy back. It just depends what kind of energy we feed it.
  • mmk2988
    mmk2988 Posts: 43
    Options
    Yes, I will not even take 2 hours rest after intense exercise, I leave only 45-60 Minutes for my next food time.
    So, I have split up the exercise schedule into two half- one in morning and another in evening.
    Water intake play crucial role in hunger, If you take more water you can manage hunger in relaxed manner.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is the way it should be, so don't worry. Just make sure to fill up on healthy and satisfying foods: Slow carbs, protein and healthy fat. You need all of it to gain back the vital resources you have spent, and to help your muscles heal after the strain.

If you tend to overdo it with unhealthy versions, try to put that off until after you have had a healthy meal. And if you are extremely impatient, hurry up and make a smoothie with some protein and drink that before you do any other decisions about what to eat. It's a lot easier to eat healthy when you are not feeling like you are about to collapse.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info...I try to eat about 35 grams of fiber on most days with healthy protein also. I find when I focus the hunger on fiber I get healthy carbs in too, like fruit, vegetables, grain, nuts and seeds. I usually drink 10 cups of H2O a day to work with the fiber. I just get confused with the ...perform intense cardio workouts, then eat back everything I just exercised off routine. I am slow to lose, maybe my age, medications, and some "junk" food, but wanted to know if others were famished after a great workout and what you do when you are! Thanks again...