Am I drinking enough/too much?

Options
So, the jury's out - how much am I supposed to be drinking?

2 litres seems to be my average whilst I'm doing my desk job 9-5 then the occasional drink outside of that, but I look and feel much better if I average 3-4 litres daily.

Since following MFP I still feel thirsty after meeting my 8 'cups' (in my mind that's about a mug full / 250ml) quota and have been using the MFP log as motivation and to keep track, but would it do me any harm to be drinking over the quota? I.e. what level would be reasonable to avoid doing myself any harm?

Replies

• Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Vodka ? I would say a litre a day is bout right :)

Sorry couldn't resist x
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you pee is clear you are drinking enough
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is a really hard question to answer that gets asked a lot & the answer is - everyone is different. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2

If you feel thirsty drink... I average 4-5 litres a day (more in summer) for someone else that could be way too much and the effects of over hydration can be just as bad as under.
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also wonder about this, i drink 3-4 glasses of normal water, 3 glasses of squash, 3 large mugs of tea a day, before I started I would never drink much at all, like 2 glasses of squash and that would be it. However, with this comes the increased amount or trips to the loo but I read somewhere that if you are going to the toilet a lot then you may be overhydrating yourself, is this possible or have I been fooled by some random post?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you pee is clear you are drinking enough

^^^ I was going to say that

and if you're running to the bathroom to pee every five minutes, you're drinking too much
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Vodka ? I would say a litre a day is bout right :)
    Sorry couldn't resist x

Hahaha ...yes, although if I was peeing a litre of vodka then I would probably be on an IV drip in hospital anyways, lol. Anyway - vodka cranberries every time :wink:

The pee clear seems like a good gauge. In the evenings/daytime weekends I get through squash or green/camomile teas too.

Had a really interesting experience in Paris once. We were doing the sights by foot and I had a 2 litre camel pack for the day. At the end of it I hadn’t p’d all day and had drunk the entire pack - goes to show what exercise does for you! And had a good evening out too :smile: