How do I avoid overtraining?

Options
Every time I've ever trained down in weight I end up over training at some point causing injury, lack of motivation, and progress slows down. How do you you keep making the most progress possible without running into the issue of over training?

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Inquiring minds want to know... Bump :)
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I usually mix up rep ranges - and keep my weeks variable.

So my first two days of the week may be heavier where as towards the end of the week i'll go lighter higher rep range - I usually throw in a deload week every 7 weeks or so
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Well easiest solution: train less.

Here's my real question. What kind of training do you mean? Generally speaking? Weight lifting / Cardio / All of the above?

Injuries happen can happen from not warming up correctly and bad form. I think this question is more relating to "how do I avoid injuries." General over training imo you're basically going to failure and your body is shutting down because of inadequate rest. You can switch over to RPE instead of standard set numbers. An example of this is conventionally you might go into the gym and say I want to do X sets with Y reps. RPE is Rate of Perceived Exertion and you may go into the gym with an idea in mind, but you're willing to be flexible. How it works is you lift until just before failure when you feel like you can still get 1 more rep. You drop the weight down and keep drop setting. This allows you to pyramid your exercises to how you feel each individual day causing less strain on days you feel worse.

If your split is bad and training muscle groups daily then that can also be a problem. If you're having injuries with your shoulders for example that means your not engaging the correct muscles like the back and you're pulling with your shoulders and arms. I think if you gave us an example of the problems you're having specifically you could get a better answer.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Train with a goal. Not every day should be "as hard as I can"
    Track all of your training.
    Slow and steady progress, not a sudden jump.
    Do not add more than 10% in volume one month over another (hours, pounds, miles, whatever unit you use).
    If you increase intensity, decrease your volume (going harder, but less total time or exercises).
    Take a full rest day with no exercise each week.
    At least every 8 weeks, take a week with almost all easy workouts (nothing over, say, 140 BPM heart rate and no heavy lifting). Every 4 weeks is better.
    Eat enough. If you are starving, your body can't refuel and repair itself, let alone fuel the workouts.
    Make sure you have enough protein and carbohydrates. You need protein to rebuild and repair, you need carbs for fuel.
    Remember that recovery is just as much mental as physical. Your mind needs to let go of the "must train" mentality once in a while or you will burn out.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Very helpful responses. :bigsmile:
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Every time I've ever trained down in weight I end up over training at some point causing injury, lack of motivation, and progress slows down. How do you you keep making the most progress possible without running into the issue of over training?

do a max of 4 sets on any excersize and don't train it the following day, do something else on a completely seperate muscle group, i take 5g of creatine a day which seems to help muscle recovery massively, idk why or if its just in my mind but i've gone weeks with and without and noticed a difference, plenty of protein to aid recovery, and i find a good hot bath can sort out any little niggles you might get from getting close to injury.

i find with my shoulders i can easily over do it as they're quite weak, so if i feel a twinge or anything not right, i'll stop immediately to make sure i return another day, there's no point pushing through it and putting whatever you injure out of action for 2 or maybe more weeks just to finish set 3 or 4, call it an off day and come back to it or if you consistently can't make the 3rd and 4th set, drop the weight down a fraction, an ego isn't healthy when you're lifting, lift what you're capable of lifting to complete 4 sets rather than two and a bit and probably injure yourself.

finally make sure your technique is right, form is massively important -

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/exercise.html

this site has vids on pretty much every excersize you can think of

also before you get to your workout, stretch! get your muscles prepared for a workout, get some nice light weights like 5lbs and have a warm up, do some curls with them get some blood flowing, to stretch my chest i get on my bench with dumbells as if im gonna do flies, and gently lower them down to the floor and hold it.... rinse and repeat

finally sleep!! get your 8 hours it makes such a difference

HTH and good luck! you wont regret it if you keep at it
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I very very very much doubt you are over training. Do you stretch etc at the END of the workout (not the start, bad move when lifting weights)?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think many people injure themselves lifting because of:

1) Poor form
    2) Attempting to move weights beyond their capabilities
    3) A combination of (1) and (2)

Program light and pay attention to form.