Is it possible I'm putting on muscle?

Options

Replies

• Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You have adjusted your calories a few times, perhaps that is to blame for the fluctuations on the scale. I would give it a few more weeks and take progress pics and measurements. Focus on the progress instead of what is left to do :)

I sometimes fluctuate throughout the week/day, but I refuse to drive myself crazy over that lol. I've realised a few things can impact the scale for me. Time of day, bladder/stomach contents, that time of month (or a week before for me), if I`ve done weight training in the past 24 hours, and food that I ate the night before.

Also remember we can be our own biggest critics :( Try to focus on the improvements you have made so far! I keep a folder of my progress pics on my desktop and look through that on days I can`t see any changes. It helps to reassure myself that YES this is working! :) Best of luck!!

Also: I am eating at a deficit and I am gaining muscle/ becoming stronger. I do eat my calories back so maybe that has to do with it.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is slow (as I don't really have much to lose and I'm only shooting for 0.5lb a week) so i have started to track my measurements and body fat and I have to say it's pretty awesome watching the progress on those move so much more quickly than the scales!!

I've even started to really notice it on myself now :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    How much sleep do you get? The only helpful advice I can help you is this.

If you gained back 2 lbs in 3 weeks that means daily you'd have to be at 333.33 calories over daily. Let's say that we're not going to recalculate your calories on the weekend. The 2 days per week you go close to 2,000 calories let's generalizes puts you +500 more calories per day more than the 5 other days.

+1000 per week
    This mathematically would mean for 3 weeks went over the other 5 days by 266.66, but I only divided not including the amount over the weekends would factoring that math in. It would actually mean you were eating 190.47 calories daily. I don't like the way this math works out because it would put your daily calories at closer to 1300.

I would talk to a personal trainer or a physician. 1300 in my opinion is too low for your activity level... granted water weight can fluctuate with outside influences such as stress. If you've had perhaps not the best sleep and been going through a stressful time perhaps even just changes in hormone levels can do that.

If you didn't want to go see someone I may suggest trying to eat the exact same amount of calories every single day regardless of exercise or not and in 2 weeks weigh in and see. The daily consistency will help you figure your maintenance.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I remember you from your previous posts. Whilst I understand your frustration, the overall impression I get from you is that you want it all to happen too quickly. Losing an inch from your hips is fantastic progress and is far more important then scale weight.

I know you say you've been doing this for 8 weeks and would expect more movement weight wise, but you really need to exercise patience with regards to fat loss. In my experience it isn't a fast process, especially for women (this in only my experience) and if you are doing everything right in regards to macros, calories, exercise all you can do is sit it out and admit that you are in it for the long haul. If you are weight training as well, you may find your scale weight doesn't move very much. Generally your measurements should be the thing that is reducing. The most I measure is once a month. Some months I literally only lose a cm here and there but I just have to accept that that is the rate my body is changing. I could be the same for you. You may not lose inches at a time, but as long as the overall trend is that measurements are going down thats the important thing.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Well for the last 4 weeks or so I've been very stressed as my dog was really sick and I was extremely worried about him plus not sleeping much as he was ill in the night and then we had to have him put down 2 weeks ago so don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Having said that I'm continuously stressed anyway really due to money worries so don't know if that's having any kind of effect. Plus I'm on the pill so maybe that makes my weight loss slower than most.

I can't see a doctor about this as I don't have medical cover except for in case of emergency unfortunately at the moment.

I will try cutting down by 100 calories per day and see what happens and maybe I'll try not to double up on the two days I do weight training or just go for a walk instead of doing Insanity so I don't run out of energy.

I generally sleep around 6-6.5 hours per night and I usually have a good night's sleep too.
  • flutgos
    flutgos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would stop taking protein to be honest. Taking protein will help to build muscle but it won't help in losing fat. It is quite the opposite. I only take protein during the winter months when I'm not too worried about gaining a couple of pounds. I am currently trying to get cut for the summer so I am going to stop taking protein. I may not see awesome muscle gain but I don't want to gain fat as well. Make sure that your sodium intake is low. Sodium will make you retain water. Make sure that your carbs are low as well. This should help.
  • jesz124
    Options
    Also just to add I think you are exercising too much. As far as I can gather Insanity is quite hardcore. This along with weight training and the other bits you mentioned seems OTT to me. I do heavy lifting 3 times a week with about 10-20 minutes after each lifting session and I feel this is enough for my body.

Maybe change your mindset? I've had to. Low fat/cal food makes me hungrier.Cutting my calories too much makes me weak. Excessive cardio makes me so hungry I over eat. High protein and fats make me full for longer. Weight training makes me lose very little scale weight, but shrinks my *kitten* and hips. I know I don't have to do cardio to change my body shape, just lift heavy *kitten* *kitten* 3 times a week. It's totally not what I expected to learn from joining MFP, but learn it I did and it's changed the way I eat, workout, everything really. Maybe you need to re-think the things you do if your unhappy with your progress?
  • jesz124
    Options
    I would stop taking protein to be honest. Taking protein will help to build muscle but it won't help in losing fat. It is quite the opposite. I only take protein during the winter months when I'm not too worried about gaining a couple of pounds. I am currently trying to get cut for the summer so I am going to stop taking protein. I may not see awesome muscle gain but I don't want to gain fat as well. Make sure that your sodium intake is low. Sodium will make you retain water. Make sure that your carbs are low as well. This should help.

Ignore. Protein will not make you gain fat. Excess cals will make you fat.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well for the last 4 weeks or so I've been very stressed as my dog was really sick and I was extremely worried about him plus not sleeping much as he was ill in the night and then we had to have him put down 2 weeks ago so don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Having said that I'm continuously stressed anyway really due to money worries so don't know if that's having any kind of effect. Plus I'm on the pill so maybe that makes my weight loss slower than most.

I can't see a doctor about this as I don't have medical cover except for in case of emergency unfortunately at the moment.

I will try cutting down by 100 calories per day and see what happens and maybe I'll try not to double up on the two days I do weight training or just go for a walk instead of doing Insanity so I don't run out of energy.

I generally sleep around 6-6.5 hours per night and I usually have a good night's sleep too.

JAT, stress has the highest effect! Read about cortisol and how it affects weight. That's how I gained all my weight. I was in a very stressful situation the last few years and only when I relaxed and took control of my life I was able to start losing weight.
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As long as you are "feeling" the difference and seeing the difference in your body proportions you are on the right track. Do not get stuck on that number on the scale. Its only a number, just like our age number, none of that matters, its all how you look & feel. Be mindful of not cutting out too much calories, your body will STARVE and you won't see loss as your body will want to hold on to food intake to take care of itself.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to be more patient. I'm no expert, but don't see anything wrong with your protein intake. An inch is a big deal. Quit being hard on yourself.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Exactly! I know proein isn't the problem. I started lifting heavy this week due to lack of progress and results because before I was mainly using light weights for high reps.

If I think back to when I last did a lot of weights I lifted heavy but I did it 3-4 times a week for 45 or more at a time plus cardio every day on top if that and I didn't count calories and I really put on a lot of weight as I was eating loads more and not realising what I was eating but now I'm really careful about that. Hopefully lifting heavy, a little less cardio and a few less calories per day will be the answer but I'll monitor things over the next 4 weeks at least.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'd love faster results too, but unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Least not for me :grumble:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Whilst I understand your frustration, the overall impression I get from you is that you want it all to happen too quickly. Losing an inch from your hips is fantastic progress and is far more important then scale weight.

:flowerforyou: I tend to agree with this poster. I'm sorry and I feel your frustration :sad: I truly do. However, you even seem impatient with folks trying to be helpful. I realize you don't mean to be, but as I said, your frustration is palpable.

Here's my 2 cents...and I *did* read your post and all that came after.

I get the feeling you are looking to change your body and looking for changes in the scale.

Lifting weights using compound movements such as squats, good mornings, dead lifts etc. will likely do this. If you are already doing this (I'm not familiar with the DVD workouts you've mentioned) and are within your weight for your height, you are already seeing success (as evidenced by your inches lost).:drinker:

A watched pot never boils :ohwell: I know you don't want to hear this, but it sounds like you just need to take your eyes off the prize for a while and just do what you do.

My only other thought, which I doubt highly since you are seeing success with inches lost, is that you are over estimating or under estimating your caloric burn. Looking into getting a heart rate monitor or a fitbit might be a solution to give you the additional data you need to figure out what's going on.

That, or it'll give you something else to fixate on, not necessarily a good thing :ohwell: I wish you well and look forward to hearing what other more experienced folks have to say about this. Even more interested to hear back from you in a few weeks for an update. :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You can actually do serious harm to your liver and kidneys with too much protein. Excess protein in a meal will get converted into what the body needs but that's overall that's too much protein for your nutritional needs.

At 100 grams to 150 grams, this is not even close to being true. At 400 grams maybe. This level is protein is more than safe and has no risk of damaging kidneys and liver. OP, I think you are overexercising and have too much cortisol. The recommedation of 3 days weight training, 2 days cardio would be accurate with at least 2 rest days. You are keeping your body in a constant state of stress. Also, you have changed and bounced between too many options. Figure an accurate TDEE, eat 25% below that. Set activity leve to active and don't eat back exercise calories would be one approach. Then stay with that for 4 weeks. Measure and adjust. More data below from studies on protein intake.

Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport.../protein_intake.pdf

QUOTE:

Since there is evidence that protein intakes above the RDA may be beneficial to athletes, a risk–benefit analysis may be useful. An important consideration is the potential harm that may arise from elevated protein intakes. There is little research into the maximum tolerable protein intake in healthy individuals. It has been suggested that excessive protein intakes may increase calcium loss, thus affecting bone health. However, since a major portion of bone is protein, excessive protein does not appear to influence bone health. High protein intakes have been suggested to pose a risk for the kidneys but, in healthy individuals with no underlying kidney disease (presumably most elite athletes), there is no evidence for harm to kidneys with higher intakes. Certainly, it would be detrimental for an athlete to consume excess protein at the expense of other nutrients required to support the necessary level of training and competition. There is a suggestion that intakes greater than 40% of total energy intake might be the upper limit. Protein intakes greater than 40% may limit intake of fat and/or carbohydrates, thus compromising the benefits of these nutrients. However, given the high energy intakes of most elite athletes, protein intakes higher than 40% are unlikely in most. Even a small female restricting energy intake and consuming only 1500 kcal would need to consume 150 g of protein to reach 40%.

High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2004, 1:45-51 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-1-1-45
    http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45#B4

QUOTE:

Indeed, the recent study Dawson-Hughes et al. did not confirm the perception that increased dietary protein results in urinary calcium loss.[36] According to Dawson-Hughes et al., "Theconstellation of findings that meat supplements containing 55 g/d protein, when exchanged for carbohydrate did not significantlyincrease urinary calcium excretion and were associated withhigher levels of serum IGF-I and lower levels of the bone resorption marker, N-telopeptide, together with a lack of significant correlationof urinary N-telopeptide with urinary calcium excretion in thehigh protein group (in contrast to the low protein) point tothe possibility that higher meat intake may potentially improvebone mass in many older men and women."

Finally, the cross-cultural and population studies that showed a positive association between animal-protein intake and hip fracture risk did not consider other lifestyle or dietary factors that may protect or increase the risk of fracture.[35] It is of some interest that the author of the most cited paper favoring the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis no longer believes that protein is harmful to bone.[34] In fact, he concluded that the balance of the evidence seems to indicate the opposite.

QUOTE:

Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4]

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25

QUOTE:

Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i agree carry on an inch lost off your hips is good! you are gaining muscle, as people have said forget the scales for now, think more in the way of converting fat to muscle! (obviously it doesn't quite happen that way) keep up the good work, you have to have the mindset that you're making a change in your diet and body over a long period, not a fad diet of lose 100lbs of whatever body mass you have be it muscle or fat, you're reducing BF the right way, eating the right things and excersizing.

keep the faith it's working so far and will continue if you keep it up!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

No. Just no.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Thanks all, I am impatient but mainly just because I've had a lot of problems with my weight and high body fat and whenever I've tried to lose weight in the past I've found I've been able to do it in a very short time. Ok, I haven't done it the healthiest way before but it worked and I did nose body fat even though it wasn't a huge amount. That's why I'm now so frustrated and also because I see people on here who are much bigger than me and embark on a weight loss regime and start exercising and they see instant results.

Having struggled with my weight issues now for almost 20 years I just want things sorted once and for all! I've never consciously tried to lose body fat or aimed for a specific goal other than to try and fit into a certain clothes size and this time my goal seems out of reach.

I actually don't care how slowly I lose either weight, inches, fat or anything else just as long as something is happening which at the moment it feels like it isn't and my loosest jeans are tighter than ever when I put them on this morning so think that's why I'm feeling so helpless.

Hookiau I already have a Polar HRM which I'm using as well as a Pedometer which I might start using too so I think that my logs are pretty accurate.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just a few things:

Went through your diary to last weekend, both Sat and sun you've eaten over 2,000 cals. There's not much veg in there.

You've started weights, your muscles will be retaining water (hence weight).

Try working out 4-5 days, giving yourself more rest days and allowing your muscles to recover.

Drink LOTS of water.

Be patient, it's only been a couple of months.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to talk to a mental health person. It will help you deal with the stress and becoming more accepting of your overall body image.