2-3 stones by Summer - is that realistic?

Options
Hi,

I am back at fitness pal after like 1 1/2 years. I managed to lose weight with the support of fitnesspal previously, but had some misfotune last year, which meant I piled the weight on again (comfort eating).

I would love to lose weight and be healthy again. I wanted to lose around 2-3 stones by the end of June. I would appreciate views on whether people think this is realistic?

I have started tracking what I eat and I've realised that I eat waaaay too much carbs - pasta, rice and bread. I have yet to start exercising and am hoping to start jogging with wii fit soon or doing a exercise video.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    I lost 2 stones in 5 months, its hard but it is achievable
  • knarr88
    knarr88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hope so as I am hoping to do 1,5-2.5 by the summer !!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how heavy you are to start with, but a sensible rate of weight loss (and weigh that is more likely to stay off) is somewhere around the 1/2 stone a month, so yes, 2 stone by the end of June is quite possible.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tina.

Mike, how did you manage to lose 2 stones in 5 months? And has it stayed off?
  • eats1
    eats1 Posts: 16
    Options
    would you consider the 5:2 fast diet? I've just started because it is doable and you can eat normally for 5 days out of 7 each week. Good luck!
  • tdues
    tdues Posts: 2
    Options
    What are stones? I Just had my year anniversary with Ftiness Pal. I lost 35 pounds from last February to October and then from October to now I have continued to keep it off through moderation in the foods I ewnjoy and exercising 5 days a week. My profile only shows 31 pounds lost because I didn't start keeping track of weight on the site until after I was doing it a few weeks. So I still don't know what "stones" are but good luck with your weight loss.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you eat and exercise at sensible levels, then 1.5lb a week should be achievable over time. If you have a fair amount to lose, then the chances are you'll get an extra loss at the start though - maybe as much as 10lb in the first two weeks. The rest is just maths...

2 weeks at start = 10lb
    14 more weeks until end of June at 1.5lb per week = 21lb

21+10 = 31lb, or just over 2 stone. Simples!

@tdues a "stone" is 14lb. People in the UK talk about their weight in terms of stones and pounds, not just pounds like the Americans...
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    What are stones? I Just had my year anniversary with Ftiness Pal. I lost 35 pounds from last February to October and then from October to now I have continued to keep it off through moderation in the foods I ewnjoy and exercising 5 days a week. My profile only shows 31 pounds lost because I didn't start keeping track of weight on the site until after I was doing it a few weeks. So I still don't know what "stones" are but good luck with your weight loss.

A stone is 14 pounds :smile:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    would you consider the 5:2 fast diet? I've just started because it is doable and you can eat normally for 5 days out of 7 each week. Good luck!

Is this not just a fad for people who refuse to make a sensible, sustainable lifestyle change?

Why would you want to achieve your entire calorie deficit in 2 days if you could just eat a healthy balanced diet every single day?

And what about maintenance?
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    What do you do for the other two days a week?
    I tend to get migraines if I have get too hungry.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    14 pounds = 1 stone

Do you still exercise 5 days a week even though you have attained the weight loss you wanted?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Is this not just a fad for people who refuse to make a sensible, sustainable lifestyle change?

Why would you want to achieve your entire calorie deficit in 2 days if you could just eat a healthy balanced diet every single day?

Not a fad, it is a lifestyle choice, done more for health & longevity than weight loss. eight loss is a by product

There was a programme, researched by real doctor's

There is a 5.2 group on here somewhwere
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks Tina.

Mike, how did you manage to lose 2 stones in 5 months? And has it stayed off?

The first three months I was new to all this, so i literally put into mfp that i wanted to lose 1.5lbs a week, and tried to eat relatively healthily whilst staying under the cals that mfp told me, at the same time I did the insanity program which helped get rid of alot of the weight, however as time has gone on and I have learned alot more about nutrition my way of eating has dramatically changed, I now eat as clean as I can, making all meals from scratch, keeping my macros around 40:40:20 protein, carbs, fat and keeping sodium and sugar out of the equation, I only eat "good" carbs such as wholewheats, brown rice etc, I eat alot of quinoa, and alot of fish, meat etc for my protein. I workout 6 days a week and am loving it, I am done losing now and am looking to just reduce my body fat % slightly and build muscle so Ive upped my cals considerably, its no longer a diet but a new way of living for me and I love the way I look and feel :0)
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is achievable but obviously one assumes your starting weight is quite high, I like Mike above lost a lot of weight in the first 8 weeks but I put in a lot of work and exercised twice a day.

Also the 5:2 fasting regime is no fad. Some serious research has been carried out into fasting this last 5 years. I myself will adopt it once I reach my goal weight. It has been proved very beneficial for many other health aspects and losing or maintaining weight is just an added bonus.
  • A01fe
    A01fe Posts: 15
    Options
    I hope it's achievable as I want to loose 2 stone for Glastonbury (Last weekend in June)! I'm trying to eat clean and cut out the booze. I'm also training at my local boxing gym twice a week and running twice a week. Add me if you would like someone to help 'cheerlead' you through the next couple of months

A
  • tdues
    tdues Posts: 2
    Options
    Ahhhh Thanks! You learn something new everyday !
  • rencawdor24
    Options

Not a fad, it is a lifestyle choice, done more for health & longevity than weight loss. eight loss is a by product

There was a programme, researched by real doctor's

There is a 5.2 group on here somewhwere

Hi,
    What exactly is the 5:2 diet?
    How restricted is your diet for the other 2 days?
  • JesterJoe
    JesterJoe Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm down 92 pounds or about 6.5 stones since mid-November. It is hard work and requires focus. It can be done.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    I'm down 92 pounds or about 6.5 stones since mid-November. It is hard work and requires focus. It can be done.

Wow, that is amazing! Well done you!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on how heavy you are to begin with and how fast your body responds to weight loss attempts. It's taken me 20 months to lose just over 4 stone, and that's with a LOT of exercise and being careful about what I eat. But I have a slow metabolism and I'm now 10lbs from goal so it's even slower!