fibroid tumor getting a hysterectomy

Options

Replies

• lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with evileen from the earlier post. Same experience and result. I had a fibroyd the size of a softball blocking the opening of my uterus. My periods were so heavy I was anemic. I jumped at the chance to have the hysterectomy and it has changed my life. I had it laparoscopically so minimallly invasive. Was back at work in 10 days and walking in 2 weeks. I gained little to no weight. I totally agree about not weighing yourself for a time. Feel better and do what is right for you and your body.
    The freedom I have gained is priceless:)
  • TanyaGirl76
    TanyaGirl76 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had a myomectomy for one that was about the size of softball, my periods were horrible. I had it about 4 weeks ago. I am hoping ot get started on working out next week. I can't stand that i can't fit into any of my clothes any longer. Did you already have yours done?
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    you are not going to put the weight on if you stick to your food choices that helped you lose in the first place. I had HUGE ( even the doctor was impressed) fibroid .. had to have a complete hysterectomy... hang in there recovery takes a few weeks but you will be walking about ( is required after surgery) in no time. I was out camping four weeks after surgery. If they take the ovaries you will have hormonal changes but they can be managed fairly easily. You will be fine and in the long term will feel MUCH better with this gone. I was amazed at the difference I felt a few weeks after surgery...no bleeding, no pressure, no pain.. hang in there sweety you will do great
  • nmiller0813
    nmiller0813 Posts: 109
    Options
    I had a partial hysterectomy six years ago, and I lost weight during the recovery, because I had no desire to eat and it was easier to stick to a healthy diet.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    OptimisticlyOptimistic Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had a cantalope sized fibriod and had a hysterectomy almost 10 years ago. I had no sudden weight gain afterwards. I think hormones play a part in that though. I still have my ovaries. Best wishes for you!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had the hystorec for the fibroid. In my case I had no choice because my insurance would not cover me going to other treatments, and I couldn't cover it out of my pocket. Yes I gained weight. But I didn't do what my doctor said do. he told me to start walking even if it was for one minute. I will admit that was one of the best things to happen to me. My life was 50% better, making me a 100 percent woman mentally and physically. Good luck to you, and get that physical level working asap, don't lie around.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    When I was 36 I had a hysterectomy. In 6 month's I grew a large grapefruit size tumor. They didn't give me an option. As fast as it grew they were afraid it was going to cause damage. They did mine laprascopic. I agree you can get up and move and eat smart and be back to yourself in no time. That was 16 years ago and I have never regreted the decision. I am now in the tail end of menopause. Get a second opion if you want to. I didn't and everything went wonderful. Best of luck.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My second bit of advice is to read all you can on hystersisters.com. It's an amazing site full of women who are either preparing for or recovering from hysterectomy. Feel free to add me as a friend and message me if you'd like to discuss this further. I had my LAVH in November so it's all still very fresh in my mind. I wish you a fast and uncomplicated recovery. Just try to do your best to focus on healing and nourishing your body and everything will fall into place as far as your weight.

This is a great site and gave me all the info I needed when I had mine. I also have found that attitude plays a big part in recovery.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I had one in March of 2009. They took my uterus and my cervix, I still have both ovaries so there are no hormonal issues (If your ovaries are healthy, there is no reason to remove them) It was the absolute best thing that I ever did for myself. Life is so much easier now. I feel like a new person.

As far as weight loss, I don't think the surgery itself affects it one way or the other, its what you do after your recovery period (6-8 weeks) is over that counts. There is no reason you can't slowly work yourself into an exercise routine afterwards. I currently do Strong Lifts 5x5 three times a week followed by additional weighted lunges and/or step-ups and a two mile walk (sometimes intervals). There is no way I'd be able to this workout if I had not had that surgery, because the pain was so debilitating and interfering with my job and my life. I can do so much more now than I ever could before.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy, ovaries and all at the age of 47. It was absolutely the best thing I have ever done. I realise you are younger, but if you are happy with your family size and are keeping your ovaries then go for it. It is such a liberation! My bleeding was unbelievable and I was at the end of my tether. It has absolutely nothing to do with weight gain, that is entirely up to you, and sex is just as good afterwards! I had the incision and I took a while to recover, but nothing like the scare stories you can read on the net. I wish I had had it done years earlier. Why suffer? And how great not to have periods!
  • JudibugDesigns
    JudibugDesigns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy at 28 and lost about 80 lbs afterwards. I wasn't trying to lose weight...it just came off :)
    (unfortunately in the 10 years since it crept back on but due to my bad eating habits not related to the hormones or surgery)

A year before my hysterectomy I had emergency surgery to remove a ruptured ovarian cyst(almost died from it) and they cut me open from 2 inches above my belly button right down(a very large incision due to my size)...so for the hysterectomy they recut the incision but only from the belly button down the second time.

I was walking around the hospital hours after waking up from surgery and never felt better! The pain from surgery/recovery was nothing compared to the agony I was in monthly :( (my first surgery was an emergency so I was in ICU for several days and didn't walk well for a week, but the actual hysterectomy surgery was totally different afterwards)

I had a full hysterectomy(ovaries, uterus cervix) and DID lose weight afterwards. I am taking estrogen alone...perhaps the conflicting reports on weight gain/loss is due to differences in women taking estrogen versus estrogen/progesterone(if ovaries are kept)...or depression eating (like many women, I had no children so the loss of that possibility is hard to handle).

Weight loss is definitely possible after a hysterectomy...and not being in pain or zoned out on painkillers all the time had a HUGE impact on my energy levels. Good luck to you

and no period in 10 years since...BEST THING EVER!!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    There is another way to get rid of it but it takes longer to shrink it and I can't stand the pain anymore so that's why I chose to just take it out

Nina,
    in this time and age there is absolutely no reason for a young woman to have any hysterectomy, especially when you are so close to some of the top academic institutions in the world. Brigham and Women has been doing all the cutting edge research and leading the discoveries in this field.
    http://www.fibroids.net/homepage.html

You can have birth control and other medication to shrink them; have the stones that cut the blood supply to the fibroids; have minimal invasion myomectomy, myomectomy, etc. There are so many treatments. My friend went to her doctor who had told her that she had to do a full hysterectomy. I told her to get her butt and fly to Boston ASAP. She had a minimal invasive surgery 8 years ago and has been so happy ever since.

They tried to shrink mine with birth control. Not only did it not work but the additional hormones turned me into a raging nutcase. There was also the option to cut/scrape them out, but then there is no guarantee that they wouldn't return.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I went through progesterone therapy to remove a 10 cm cyst. I gained a ton over eight months. My only thought is this - remember that internal healing is slower than external. Take it easy and you will heal better. After my gall bladder surgery I pushed getting on the treadmill at four weeks and relapsed and was on the couch for another eight weeks.

In retrospect I wish I'd had my uterus out rather than suffering with the 5 years of perimenopause that I'm dealing with and I'm no closer to being done with it!
  • forevermarin
    forevermarin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy two years ago. While on bed rest I lost 20 lbs. I started working out but stress and work got in the way. I am now heavier then I was with the ovary and uterus issues. I now look like I am very pregnant carrying low. Any advice on how to lose that. I started a gym and tried this program twice but not a lot of results. I have a trainer now and he is great. Wondering if any advice on how to help get rid of the front bulge.

Also does anyone know of a great girdle that just covers the stomach (upper and lower) and waist area? With my fat thighs it hard to roll the garment down and up when in such small bathroom stalls at work.

HELP PLEASE! :sad:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy two years ago. While on bed rest I lost 20 lbs. I started working out but stress and work got in the way. I am now heavier then I was with the ovary and uterus issues. I now look like I am very pregnant carrying low. Any advice on how to lose that. I started a gym and tried this program twice but not a lot of results. I have a trainer now and he is great. Wondering if any advice on how to help get rid of the front bulge.

Also does anyone know of a great girdle that just covers the stomach (upper and lower) and waist area? With my fat thighs it hard to roll the garment down and up when in such small bathroom stalls at work.

HELP PLEASE! :sad:

What was "this program" that didn't give you results? Was it counting calories on mfp or going to the gym? How long did you try?
    What does your trainer say about getting rid of belly fat? If you asked him he probably told you that you can't spot reduce and than you'll have to burn body fat through a combination of cardio and weight training to get rid of it and that you need to eat less. If not, there's your answer. HTH
  • marisabelm
    marisabelm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had a hysterectomy myself 6 weeks ago because a gigantic fibroid and have lost almost 14 pounds since the surgery just by counting calories in MFP. Before the surgery I read all those terrible stories about women who gained a lot of weight and I decided that I was not going to be one of them. I actually stopped reading anything hystersysters. That is webpage where you can find information related to hysterectomies, but in my case I was terrified of everything I read, weight gain, surgery complications, hernias, etc. I decided that this is a reborn and you can do it to. A hysterectomy is not the end of the world, for me it s actually a beginning, a new life free of pain, healthier and I know deep in my heart that only good things are coming. Do not believe everything you read, believe in yourself.
  • marisabelm
    marisabelm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exactly!, that´s how I feel!, I don´t believe either in the curse of weight gain after hysterectomy, I had mine 6 weeks ago and have lost almost 14 pounds since the procedure just by counting calories as I can´t exercise yet. This is doable!
  • lifesigns64
    lifesigns64 Posts: 110
    Options
    Had a complete hysterectomy and never felt better in my life!!! I am on hormone replacement, a prescribed by doctor gel cream i put on each thigh alternating nights . . . best thing I ever did!!!
  • colleenkokemohr
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in October of 2012 and I did not gain any weight which I was also worried about. I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to lose the weight I wanted. However I started here in January and have been able to lose 26 pounds and even with taking a full month off to eat on vacation only gained a few pounds back.
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had a partial hysterectomy 2 wks ago to remove multiple fibroids - a 2.5 lb tumor right on my uterine artery. Because of the artery we decided against myomectomy but instead chose a supracervical hyst keeping my cervix, both ovaries and fallopian tubes. Already I am feeling more energy as that large fibroid was sucking the life out of me - literally no energy at all. I have always been active - black belt in karate, dance, yoga and weightlifting - and am shocked at how much my body has changed over the course of this past 2 years. I feel like I am starting at square one but am excited to finally get my life back! Please add me as a friend if you want to.