Do they make any high fiber no sugar instant oatmeal?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I was looking to get some incase I am in a pinch for breakfast here and there. I figure something is better then not eating.
Does anyone sell a high fiber no sugar instant oatmeal?

Replies

• geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not sure it qualifies as high-fiber at 4g per 1/2 cup serving, but Quaker has a new product -- Perfect Portions. It's a 12.7 oz bag that you can measure out exactly the quantity you need and it has no added sugar.

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/perfect-portions/maple.aspx
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Quaker plain oatmeal? Or you can just buy rolled oats and make it in the microwave, that's what I do. Old fashioned oatmeal...

The more instant it is, the more refined it has to be. If It's going to cook with just hot water, you have to buy the kind that is broken down as much as possible.

They make quick cook steel cut oatmeal...or you can get the old fashioned (my favorite) rolled oats...they're chewier and heartier...and no added sugar.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't buy instant. I just use old fashioned oats and add my own stuff. Doesn't take but a couple minutes.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    Sure, Quaker have been making plain instant for eons.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I don't buy instant. I just use old fashioned oats and add my own stuff. Doesn't take but a couple minutes.

This. They also make sugar free and no-sugar-added oatmeals like maple brown sugar, apple cinnamon, etc, but I prefer to add my own stuff. (brown sugar or low sugar maple syrup and nuts...a little light butter or peanut butter)...delicious and satisfying.
  • Soritaia
    Soritaia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat plain instant oats with a bit of fresh apple almost every morning. But honestly makeing rolled oats in the morning is no big sweat it takes 15 mins but you dont realy have to watch it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Don't do instant. The old fashioned oats take just a few minutes to make and you can add whatever you want to them! I usually add some no-sugar-added raspberry preserves, flax seed, a little honey, and a splash of almond milk.
  • KLM2206
    KLM2206 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the rolled oats comments.
    I used to buy the Uncle Toby's instant oats (90secs in microwave), but have since switched to Uncle Toby's traditional rolled oats - only takes an extra minute in the microwave and far less processed. I make mine on 2% milk and usually add berries and a drizzle of honey for sweetness. Yum!
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Better Oats Organic Raw... it's awesome, and they put flax in it too! I love all their oatmeals- I don't usually schlep product sites, but go check them out. Just google Better Oats. I have thirty boxes of this stuff in my pantry right now.

Oh, and bonus- the pouch it comes in is designed to be used as a measuring cup!! It's really pretty handy.

bare.png
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I put my steel cut oats and whatever liquid in a container in the fridge overnight. 45 seconds in the microwave is all it needs in the morning and it's much better and a little quicker than instant.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    if you're from the UK you can get oats from tesco 0.75p/kg they take about 5 mins in the microwave to go soft they have 1g of sugar in 50g
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone !
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Make your own from raw oats and add flaxseed for the fiber.

I make 1/2 cup of raw oats, 3/4 milk (more or less that you like), cinnamon, strawberries, 1/2 banana. Throw it in a dish, shake it up and put it in the fridge over night. It's sooo yummy. If you need it sweeter, then you could add a couple more dashes of cinnamon. But the strawberries and the bananas and sometimes blueberries :) sweeten it up pretty good.

NO added sugar :)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I don't even heat mine up.. it's so yummy!

Also, I'm pretty sure Quaker sells "low sugar" but "high fiber" oatmeal. Some stores have it, some don't. I noticed Target has more of a variety than y grocery store does.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats and you'll never go back. they take 5-10 minutes. really not that bad.

if you're ABSOLUTELY crushed for time, the quaker quick oats are alright (only take 1 minute in the microwave)
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are great. Make a batch of 4-6 servings Sunday night, and just keep it in the fridge to scoop out a portion every morning for the week. doesn't get much easier than that. I also add a tablespoon/serving to the oats of a chia seed, buckwheat, hemp seed mix towards the end of the cooking time for extra protein and fiber.
    But my favourite instant oatmeal is from Nature's Path. I find it to be tastier and creamier than other instants. Enjoying a bowl right now :)
  • jovstone
    Options
    There isn't a lot of nutritional difference between instant oatmeal and any other kind of oat meal you would eat, do what you like and is convenient, to get a big jump in nutrition you would have to buy raw oats and cook them for a day, easier to control sugar when you don't buy the instant kind.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Quaker plain oatmeal? Or you can just buy rolled oats and make it in the microwave, that's what I do. Old fashioned oatmeal...

The more instant it is, the more refined it has to be. If It's going to cook with just hot water, you have to buy the kind that is broken down as much as possible.

They make quick cook steel cut oatmeal...or you can get the old fashioned (my favorite) rolled oats...they're chewier and heartier...and no added sugar.

Ditto. I just buy the regular Quaker oats and cook them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Hey presto! Instant oatmeal! You can portion it out at night or put it in a baggie to take to work.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This thread is from last March. OP most likely has it figured out by now.