Miracle Noodle

Options
ausfgrad
ausfgrad Posts: 10 Member
Has anyone tried miracle noodles? What do you think of them? Have a favorite?

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I havent tried them but a friend of mine went to an asian restaurant yesterday where they had them and she said they were quite good! I have heard they are really soft so dont really hold up that well with a tomato sauce...perhaps a stir fry or I have even heard of like a light hot sauce or teriyaki. Not sure if you have a Wegmans by you but I heard they have them there.
  • gracefika
    gracefika Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've tried the noodle, spaghetti and macaroni kind. You really need to make sure that you rinse them very well as they have a strange smell if you don't. My favourite is the spaghetti shaped pasta - I substitute it for the real thing when spaghetti is on the menu.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've been eating shirataki noodles for a while now.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    They taste of nothing and have the texture of SNOT. I suppose that if you want to eat carbs because you feel the need, these might make you hit the carbs big time after realising that you have not had the sugar rush and warm glow in your cheek!
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have had shirataki. As said above rinse them very well. If rinsed and cooked well there will be no smell or taste. The shirataki ones go best in an aisian dish like a stir fry but can be substituted for pasta. Just get it into your head before you eat them that they are more of a rubbery asian style noodle and not exactly an italian pasta and they will be great. They hold up ok but are a bit chewy. great way to get full though.

Another alternative is spaghetti squash 42 calories a cup. It is very good with Italian dishes.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    could not get down....not one bite...someone else said snot and i agree....
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I also had trouble trying to swallow the spaghetti shaped ones. A friend on MFP suggested cutting them small ( as well as rinsing very well of course)
    As for the spaghetti squash, I made the baked one with chicken/pasta sauce and cheese last night ( from skinnytaste.com- it was delicious and extremely filling! There are several recipes for the squash there,also there is a very BIG thread on here for shiritake noodle recipes.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just had them for lunch and they are great. The kind with tofu so they're much more like regular pasta. Still only 40 calories for whole package. There's a great thread on MFP from 'Chelle' with great cooking tips. But they're easy, rinse well, dry fry and allow them some time to soak up the flavor of the sauce you're serving.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like them!! A good filler :)
  • SarahHebert1
    SarahHebert1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I also liked them as a pasta substitute, though my fiance did not. Definitely not quite like the real thing, but, really, how much of diet and substitute foods are?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I tried the shirataki noodles once and definitely didn't rinse them well enough because they had a strange, I think almost fishy, flavor. And I didn't like the consistency. I just use spaghetti squash instead of pasta when I want to cut back on calories and carbs.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THEM-- but as said above, they are kind of wet. You need to dry fry them first. Drain, rinse then toss in a pan and 'fry' them up for about 5-7 minutes. It removes all the extra moisture. Then use in a stirfry (see pic) or I used in a great soup yesterday (see pic) and I've even eaten them as spaghetti. It's not exactly the same as regular pasta... but 40 cals for 8oz. compared to 800 calories for 8oz... I'll take that any day!!!

Stirfry (with chicken) 200 calories
    qsjkzm.jpg

Soup (18oz. serving) 160 calories
    8zdy0x.jpg

I chop a ton of veggies before hand, keep on hand to throw in stir fry or on a salad. Here's my prep work... holds me over for about 3-4 days!!
    2vmh5iw.jpg
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THEM-- but as said above, they are kind of wet. You need to dry fry them first. Drain, rinse then toss in a pan and 'fry' them up for about 5-7 minutes. It removes all the extra moisture. Then use in a stirfry (see pic) or I used in a great soup yesterday (see pic) and I've even eaten them as spaghetti. It's not exactly the same as regular pasta... but 40 cals for 8oz. compared to 800 calories for 8oz... I'll take that any day!!!

I chop a ton of veggies before hand, keep on hand to throw in stir fry or on a salad. Here's my prep work... holds me over for about 3-4 days!!

I never thought to dry and fry them... that might definitely improve my impression of their texture.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Never heard of them-- but am now interested in trying 'em!! and thanks for the pics! the stir fry looks yummy!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

I never thought to dry and fry them... that might definitely improve my impression of their texture.

Definitely dry fry!
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    i have had shirataki...
    i wanted to cry :sad:

from the moment i opened the package, the the moment i took them out of the house because i couldn't get the smell out

work out a little harder, have a little bit of the real ones :drinker: woo!
  • teamdj1
    teamdj1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been eating shirataki noodles for a while now.

Ditto. ^^^^^ I really like them. Yes rinse them really well. Cook chicken(meat) if you like meat and or veggies then add your fave sauce. Mine is thai peanut sauce and or sriracha for some heat. Add noodle stir in and eat. The only thing that I have not been able to find out is how to get them from sticking together. Hope you like. :happy:
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I never thought to dry and fry them... that might definitely improve my impression of their texture."
    [/quote]

It DEFINITELY makes a difference. Must Dry Fry! Just rinse, drain, throw in a pan.
    And I feel bad for those of you who have only found the ones with the odor. I was ready for it when I first purchased them...but maybe the brand I get (see pic above) is different...these things have absolutely ZERO odor. I dont know... there is just no smell at all! And I have a good sniffer!! Lucky me I guess!

Love me some shiritakis!!! :happy:
  • heygirl1000
    heygirl1000 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay I have never even heard of them! What are they?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The noodles are tolerable but not tasty, the pasta shapes taste like gone off cheap calamari....bleurgh...