How long does it take to train for a half marathon?

Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm thinking about running a half marathon in October. I have several 5Ks and a 10K before that (10K in June). Should I focus more on training for the 10K first, or should I assume training for a half now will automatically help me train for the 10K? Any tips?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I'm impressed. I'm still in the middle of Couch to 5 k and not sure I'm going to make it. I would think training for the 10 K is probably enough for now. If you can go further without hurting yourself, go for it. You just have to be careful not to injure yourself before your run in June.
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    You can incorporate the 10K into your training, a lot of 1/2 plans actually tell you to plan to run a 5 or 10k as you are training. That is sort of what I did for my first half. although I ran a 5k, not a 10K. I trained for 12 weeks, I "made" my own plan from looking at a bunch of other plans out there. Basically, most plans tell you to run 3-4 days a week, so using that as a base, I planned my run days around my schedule. Here is a typical week in the life of my training: M: yoga; T: interval run; W: tempo run; T: rest; F: weight train; S: short run; Sun: long run. I would vary every other Saturday as a cross day, usually swimming. But the basic point is that every run I did had a purpose; intervals to build speed and endurance, tempo's to increase my aerobic threshold, and long runs to build endurance to make sure I could run the whole thing! Each week I increased my mileage a little bit, and my longest run the sunday before the half was 10 miles. I finished the half in 2:50, running the whole thing, and I felt awesome the whole way through! Good luck on your training!
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    :smile: First of all,great job-I would focus on the 10k (the 5 should be a breeze)and then start building a solid base,20 mile weeks..Train for the half starting in June or July...
    Good luck!And running really melts off the pounds!
    :drinker:
  • Amy_B
    Thanks!

I've heard the term "tempo run" several places. Can you explain what that means? I guess I assumed it was the same as a long run, but I appear to be wrong. :smile:
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    I'm new here but as a lifelong runner I have some experience with what you are talking about.

If I were you (and of course I'm not and I also don't know your training history) and I were training "up" to a half, and my goals were to have fun and not kill myself, I would pretty much stick with my 10k training and just extend my weekend long runs gradually out to about 16 miles or so. The more long runs you do in this range the more comfortable your half will be.

Now, if you are shooting for a really fast time, that's another story. :bigsmile:

Edited to add: It can be done with shorter long runs but that takes some of the fun out of the training.
  • Amy_B
    I'm new here but as a lifelong runner I have some experience with what you are talking about.

If I were you (and of course I'm not and I also don't know your training history) and I were training "up" to a half, and my goals were to have fun and not kill myself, I would pretty much stick with my 10k training and just extend my weekend long runs gradually out to about 16 miles or so. The more long runs you do in this range the more comfortable your half will be.

Now, if you are shooting for a really fast time, that's another story. :bigsmile:

Edited to add: It can be done with shorter long runs but that takes some of the fun out of the training.

Thanks! I'm actually just looking right now to finish without walking. LOL
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Just remember to take it very easy on your long runs and treat them as a "hard" day, even though you might not be putting a lot of effort into them. Treat the day or two after as a recovery day and train a little lighter than the rest of the week.
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    To answer your question, a "tempo" run is a run that is considered "comfortably hard", meaning it is faster than your long run pace, but not as fast as you are doing your intervals. You should try and sustain this pace for as long as you can, working up until you can sustain it for about 30-40 minutes. I actually like using a treadmill for this and interval runs, I don't trust myself to keep a pace consistently for that amount of time, and a treadmill does it for me! I would start out doing a 5 minutes warm-up, probably a brisk walk, then run 5 minutes at your comfortable pace, and then do 10 minutes at your tempo pace. You might need to play around with it a few times to see what that pace is for you, again you should be working somewhat to sustain it, but you should be able to complete whatever your time goal is at that pace. So for example, for me, and keep in mind I am a REALLY slow runner, my tempo pace is about 5.7 mph. I can sustain this pace, and it feels somewhat hard for me, for 30 minutes. But again, you will have to work up to sustaining it for that amount of time. Good luck, feel free to ask any other questions!
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    FIRST to the Finish 10K Training Program
    The Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (FIRST) 10K training program is based on results from FIRST’s training studies. Results indicate that runners are able to improve race performances running only three days a week, following a specific training plan, and cross-training. Pacing is a crucial component to this training program. From our running experience and previous research, it appears that training intensity is the most important factor for improving the physiological processes that determine running performance.
    Training program paces are based on current best 5K RACE pace. To determine your various training paces for this 10K training program, you will need a current 5K race time. Convert your 5K race time from minutes and seconds to a decimal figure For example, a 22:18 time for a 5K would convert to 22.3
    Step 1. Your 5K race time in minutes:seconds:
    Step 2. Your 5K race time in decimal form: (divide seconds by 60 to convert to decimal format)
    Step 3. Your 5K race pace in decimal form: _________________ (divide Step 2. by 3.1 to convert to mile pace in decimal)
    Step 4. Your 5K race pace in minutes/mile: (multiple decimals by 60 to convert back to seconds)
    Key Run #1 Paces
    Key Run #1 Paces (use time from Step 4) Your Pace
    400m @ 5K pace/mile – 40 sec.
    (Step 4) _______ - 40 sec. = _______; divide by 4 for 400m pace _____/400m
    600m @ 5K pace/mile – 35 sec.
    (Step 4) _______ - 35 sec. = _______; divide by 2.7 for 600m pace _____/600m
    800m @ 5K pace/mile – 30 sec.
    (Step 4) _______ - 30 sec. = _______; divide by 2 for 800m pace _____/800m
    1000m @ 5K pace/mile – 27 sec.
    (Step 4) _______ - 27 sec. = _______; divide by 1.6 for 1000m pace _____/1000m
    1200m @ 5K pace/mile – 25 sec.
    (Step 4) _______ - 25 sec. = _______; divide by 1.3 for 1200m pace _____/1200m
    1600m @ 5K pace/mile – 15 sec.
    (Step 4) _______ - 15 sec. = _______; use this time for 1600m pace
    Key Run #2 Paces (threshold runs)
    Key Run #2 Paces (use time from Step 4) Your Pace
    Short Tempo = 5K pace + 20 sec.
    Short Tempo (ST) = (Step 4) _______ + 20 sec. = _________ min./mile
    Mid Tempo = 5K pace + 35 sec.
    Mid Tempo (MT) = (Step 4) _______ + 35 sec. = _________ min./mile
    Key Run #3 Paces (long runs)
    Key Run #3 Paces (use time from Step 4) Your Pace
    Long Tempo = 5K pace + 50 sec.
    Long Tempo (LT) = (Step 4) _______ + 50 sec. = _________ min./mile
    FIRST to the Finish 10K Training Program
    This training program has produced good results with Key Run #1 on Tuesday, Key Run #2 on Thursday and the long run completed on the weekend. Runners can do the three key workouts in any order throughout the week; however, you need to allow at least one day between the key workouts. Runners are encouraged to either cross-train or complete easy runs on other days of the week.
    Key Run Workout #1
    Key Run Workout #2
    Key Run Workout #3

This is kinda around the bush I suppose. But that is the easiest way for me to see what a "tempo" run is as well as the other stuff too. This is from the RunnersWorld Book "Run Less, Run Faster" I am currently training for a 10k and a half as well and I have found this book to be really helpful. I like that it puts everything out in concrete numbers so I know what Im supposed to be doing. http://www.furman.edu/first/
This discussion has been closed.