Achilles Tendon Pain

Options
Two weeks ago I started up on the treadmill. I'm asthmatic and slowly working up, with an ultimate goal of running in a 5k.

I had old beat up Adidas shelltoes that I wore to the gym, and decided I needed an upgrade if I was going to start running.

Well, I bought a new pair of Asics, and it's a world of difference, I love them! ...on my right foot.

The past 2 nights, my left foot gets really bad pain like the shoe is rubbing too much on my tendon. After 1-1/2mile last night, the left side of my achilles tendon was real swollen and the pain went down to the outer part of my heel. I iced it and did some stretching.

It feels "almost" like my heel is too deep in the shoe on that foot. The right one is great...but I'm wondering if I should get a heel cup for my left. Does that sound weird or could it be another problem?

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    ...or is this just a break-in period for the shoes?

I've never had problems with shoes in terms of size-difference, arch, etc.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    ....no one?
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The only time I recall experiencing what you're experiencing was when I just had a lousy pair of shoes. But they were a pretty cheap pair. And I don't want to suggest that you get new shoes because Asics are not cheap.

If you still have your old shoes, maybe switch to them for your gym workouts. And wear your Asics around the house to break them in some more? If that doesn't help, if you bought the shoes locally from a shoe place, maybe go and talk with someone there about it? See if maybe they can exchange with a new pair or something?

Sorry, I can't give you an explanation. This forum needs more podiatrists!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor if possible...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor if possible...

At the very least, go to a specialty store for shoes and see if you can get a pair better suited for you. Achilles pain sucks, but a ruptured Achilles is the WORST. It's been 7 years, and I still have issues with mine.

So if you think it's the shoes, ditch them. But if you think it's your actual Achilles, get it checked out.