Anyone using the Fitbit? Is it better than the Bodybugg?

Options
Good Mornin :huh:

Who's using the Fitbit? The Fitbit accurately tracks your calories burned, steps taken, distance traveled and sleep quality. The Fitbit contains a 3D motion sensor like the one found in the Nintendo Wii. The Fitbit tracks your motion in three dimensions and converts this into useful information about your daily activities.....tell me what you think..

Check it out www.fitbit.com

Replies

• kmartin77
    Options
    Thanks for posting this...I had never heard of this one.

Looks pretty neat and a way better price than the Bodybugg and GoWear Fit. I'd love to hear from people who have actually tried it too! :smile:
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested. Thanks for posting!
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    Thank you for posting the link.

I had never seen this and was interested, as the price looks much better than the Bodybugg or Gowear Fit. So, I looked at the FAQs and the product manual sections of the website and found some interesting things:

a) This is just a very expensive pedometer.
    It states that it merely counts your steps (which uses an assumed 2.5mph) and uses a calculation to determine distance and calories. Unlike the BodyBugg of Fit, it does not look at oxygen levels, heart rate or sweat to look at exertion. It is essentially the same as if you entered "walking 2.5mph" here on MFP.

b) For any activity beyond walking, you must manually add the activity on the website.
    So, for biking, swimming, running, baseball, basketball, etc, you must go into the website and add the info, same as you already do in MFP. They use a similar formula based on your weight to calculate calories, same as MFP.

c) It does not calculate calories in... still must be entered manually (same as MFP).
    This is the same for Bodybugg and Fit. I just wanted to add because when I was researching the Bodybugg, this was a common complaint and misunderstanding with their system.

For me, I would just log buy a $5 pedometer and enter the info into MFP. It will give you the same accuracy as this device.

JMHO.
  • krislew
    krislew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just ordered one today. Came here to look for reviews on it too. It's on backorder until June 15th tho. :frown: