Numb Feet

Options
Whenever I run or do any type of walking as exercise my Achilles starts to get really tight and my feet start to get tingly and numb. This usually happens within 10 minutes of exercising. I don't know if this is something that I should get checked out or if it's something that I can work through on my own. I don't want there to be any serious circulation issues. Thanks!

IDK if this is important or not but I'm 5'2" and I weigh 130lbs (not ideal, but not overweight either)

Replies

• HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When I first starting running (new shoes), sometimes my feet would get tingly and numb. I ended up loosening my shoe laces and found out I was tying my shoes too tight.
    That in no way means that would be your problem - and I would definitely get that checked out just in case.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I had that issue when I bought new shoes, the solution....New shoes a 1/2 size bigger. When you walk/exercise your feet swell and if they don't have enough room in your shoes that may occur.

GOOD LUCK
  • rachiech13
    rachiech13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my Nike Shox makes my feet numb for the first half of my work out, too. I hate it. I think it's just the shoes for me, and I've had them for years.

You should always get it checked out if you feel concerned though!
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    To me, numbness is not normal. I wouldnt play with it. Have your primary care provider take a look.
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    It could be something minor but still get it checked.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Loosen your laces first. Try tying them this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZ0cQ5cwQ8

That helped me when I first started running and would get some irritation on top of the foot. Keeps the shoe tight but allows upper foot to move a bit more freely.
  • mrscarrigan
    mrscarrigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My feet were doing the same thing. Even when I rode my horse - my feet would get numb and tingling. The arches would burn later during the day also. I finally had it checked 3 weeks later - turns out I have a bone spur on my heel and my tendons are torn. I wonder if I would have checked it sooner - if I could have not injured my arch
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Um... YOUR FEET SHOULD NEVER BE GOING NUMB. PERIOD. I used to work at a shoe store, and that is the WORST thing that can happen. Your shoes aren't right for you. yes, you will not know this when you get them right away at the store. But there is a reason they tell you to take them home and break them in. Never jump into a pair of shoes and start working out.... WRONG. Ugh! My feet recently went numb when I worked out.... it was as simple as my shoes were too tight.

I'd go to a good shoe store. they will take care of you and put you in a good shoe for your happy feet :)
  • millytheriot
    millytheriot Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue with at least 4 different pairs of shoes and different brands also. I've always been the type to just slip my shoes on and off my feet. I don't actually untie and tie them unless they start to get too loose and then I'll retie them. Maybe I'll just make an appointment and try to get it looked at. I don't want there to be some other underlying issue. Thanks for the advice!