Treadmill Novice needs help

Options
Hi guys!
I just found MFP and its fantastic!! I've lost 1 and a half stone and I'm working on losing 3 more to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I've just started training in the gym and im a complete novice with no fitness whatsoever...
I'm not fit Enuff to run on the treadmill yet so I walk at as high speed as I can on a high incline (between 10-15%) ..is this the best for weight loss or should I be doing something else??

I work out 5x a week and my routine is usually 40 mins cardio minimum;
- 15 min treadmill
-10 min rower
-10 min bike
-15 min cross trainer
And after this I do a variety of weights around the gym. My arms have poor muscle tone (as lots of fat) so I also do planks press ups and chair dips.

Im eating clean. no more than 1200 cals a day and basically want to know...Am I working out in the most efficient way possible to maximise weight loss??
Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Xx

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if you are working out the most efficient way or not.
    However, I would work out cardio 3 days a week and weight/strength training 3 days a week.
    My reasoning behind this, you can lift heavier on days when you don't do cardio than days when you do. If your going to do cardio on weightlifting days, maybe do the weightlifting first....you want to work those muscles hard!
    Also, you then want to give those muscles a few days rest.....if you do 3 days weightlifting, you would want to divide your body into parts, like upper body and lower body, then do workouts for the day targeting a single body part. Then give that part a couple days rest before doing strength training with that same part again.
    Example:
    Monday = 45 minutes strength upper body
    Tuesday = 45 minutes cardio
    Wednesday= 45 minutes strength lower body
    Thursday = 45 minutes cardio
    Friday = 45 minutes strength upper body
    Saturday = 45 minutes cardio
    Sunday = rest

I'd also consider upping the calories a little....maybe to 1400 or so....but I don't really know your size and goals.
  • fit_mummy
    Options
    Hey thanks for the reply.... It's really appreciated.... And here's proof of what a complete novice I am... I can imagine what I'd do for 45 mins worth of strength training?

As for my weight (yikes)
    I'm 5'3
    CW. 13st 2
    GW: 9st 4

Cheers x