Medication and Weight Gain

Anyone else finding this an issue?

I am currently taking Mirtazapine (Remeron). Aside from my diagnosis it is also prescribed as an appetite stimulant to elderly people that are underweight to improve their eating habits.

I wondered if anyone else is facing this issue of drugs and weight gain. Sometimes I feel uncontrollable hunger that i cant ignore or distract myself from, something i never had until i started this medication.

Anyone have any tips? Is it worth taking an appetite supressant supplement, or will the mirtazapine over power it?

Replies

• vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Anyone else finding this an issue?

I am currently taking Mirtazapine (Remeron). Aside from my diagnosis it is also prescribed as an appetite stimulant to elderly people that are underweight to improve their eating habits.

I wondered if anyone else is facing this issue of drugs and weight gain. Sometimes I feel uncontrollable hunger that i cant ignore or distract myself from, something i never had until i started this medication.

Anyone have any tips? Is it worth taking an appetite supressant supplement, or will the mirtazapine over power it?

Also, I dont know if this is worth anyone looking at, but here is the Top 13 Drugs that cause Weight Gain:

1. Paxil (paroxetine)
    2. Depakote (Valproic Acid)
    3. Prozac (flouxetine)
    4. Remeron (Mirtazapine)
    5. Zyprexa (Olansapine)
    6. Deltasone (prednisone)
    7. Thlorazine (Chlorpromazine)
    8. Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip (amitriptyline)
    9. Allegra (fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine)
    10. Diabinese, Insulase (chlorpropamide)
    11. Insulin
    12. Tenormin (atenolol)
    13. Contraceptives

I found the main culprits are Anti-depressants/Psychotics, Diabetic and Contraception

Hope this helps
  • I understand what you mean... I was on Depo Provera (birth control) and then my doc started me on Celexa ( Citalopram) anti depressant.

That combo is where the biggest issue started.. I gained nearly 30lbs over 6 months. My doc took me off BOTH medications and now I am left with the fat.

He is sending me to a special diet clinic..
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    I have been taking prednisone for years. Prednisone not only increases appetite, but also causes fat to deposit in strange ways -- including the back, back of neck (known as the "prednisone hump" by medical professionals, the face.

The truth is that weight loss and weight management are going to be harder for you than for most people. All I can say is what works for me.

First of all, I have to accept that due to the appetite increasing aspects of my medication, that being "a little hungry" is going to happen because my body, due to the medications, is going to ask for food when I don't really need it. I try to stop eating a bit before I feel full. I find that about 30 or 40 minutes later I feel sated, even though I got up from the table feeling a bit hungry.

I try to avoid having snack-able foods in the house. When I or my wife cook a meal, we cook only one meal's worth. Leftovers call to me, and if they don't exist, I'm better off.

But after that, I'll tell you my "secret." I don't like tuna. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. My gauge as to whether or not I should have something to eat is based on a simple rule: If I'm not hungry enough to eat tuna, I'm not really hungry, That doesn't mean I'm eating loads of tuna, but just that this is my measure. It is a slightly less extreme version of 60's fitness guru Jack LaLanne's dietary axiom of "If it tastes good, spit it out!"

You asked about appetite suppressants. Avoid them. IMHO, after being on dozens of medications for 20 years due to serious health problems, I've learned that the fewer medications you take, the less troubles you will have. Standard caveat: Don't stop a prescribed drug without consulting your doctor.

You didn't say why you are taking mirtazapine, but I do know that it is most commonly used for depression. If this is the case, I would remain optimistic that as the medication helps, you will feel more motivated and with increased activity, the medication can in the end be as much an aid as a problem.

Best of wishes for you -- weight loss is difficult for everyone, and for those of us with health problems, even more of a challenge.
  • vikkistarr89
    I understand what you mean... I was on Depo Provera (birth control) and then my doc started me on Celexa ( Citalopram) anti depressant.

That combo is where the biggest issue started.. I gained nearly 30lbs over 6 months. My doc took me off BOTH medications and now I am left with the fat.

He is sending me to a special diet clinic..

Im a little confused as to why Citalopram isnt on here, it was a huge factor in my weight gain, I took it for 4 and half years. And I was on Depo Provera for six months and my weight BALLOONED on that.

As im not allowed to take estrogen based contraceptives because of migraines, im on the progesterone only mini pill and that works okay for me
  • vikkistarr89
    I have been taking prednisone for years. Prednisone not only increases appetite, but also causes fat to deposit in strange ways -- including the back, back of neck (known as the "prednisone hump" by medical professionals, the face.

The truth is that weight loss and weight management are going to be harder for you than for most people. All I can say is what works for me.

First of all, I have to accept that due to the appetite increasing aspects of my medication, that being "a little hungry" is going to happen because my body, due to the medications, is going to ask for food when I don't really need it. I try to stop eating a bit before I feel full. I find that about 30 or 40 minutes later I feel sated, even though I got up from the table feeling a bit hungry.

I try to avoid having snack-able foods in the house. When I or my wife cook a meal, we cook only one meal's worth. Leftovers call to me, and if they don't exist, I'm better off.

But after that, I'll tell you my "secret." I don't like tuna. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. My gauge as to whether or not I should have something to eat is based on a simple rule: If I'm not hungry enough to eat tuna, I'm not really hungry, That doesn't mean I'm eating loads of tuna, but just that this is my measure. It is a slightly less extreme version of 60's fitness guru Jack LaLanne's dietary axiom of "If it tastes good, spit it out!"

You asked about appetite suppressants. Avoid them. IMHO, after being on dozens of medications for 20 years due to serious health problems, I've learned that the fewer medications you take, the less troubles you will have. Standard caveat: Don't stop a prescribed drug without consulting your doctor.

You didn't say why you are taking mirtazapine, but I do know that it is most commonly used for depression. If this is the case, I would remain optimistic that as the medication helps, you will feel more motivated and with increased activity, the medication can in the end be as much an aid as a problem.

Best of wishes for you -- weight loss is difficult for everyone, and for those of us with health problems, even more of a challenge.

Yeah I'm taking Mirtazapine for PTSD and Anxiety.

It is ironic that anti depressants and psychotics are so closely linkede with weight gain, since weight gain is a huge cause of unhappiness haha.

That tuna thing you have mentioned is a BRILLIANT idea. I think I actually may do something similiar. I don't like bananas, so i may keep a couple in the house at a time.

It is mind over matter for the appetite problem but somethings if i ignore it i end up feeling so hungry i cant think about anything else.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I was on Depakote for 10 years, and gained about 100lbs. I think I used the "Depakote is notorious for causing weight gain" as the scapegoat for my increasing weight & deteriorating fitness. Of course, it couldn't have bee the fact that I was eating about 2200 - 2700 cals a day, eating lots of processed food and very little physical activity.

I recently weaned off of Depakote (with dr's supervision). I also started MPF, eating between 1500 - 1800 cals/day, exercising 4-5 times/wk. I don't know if I'm losing weight because I'm off Depakote or because I am eating right and exercising. I tend to think it is my healthier habits that contribute more to the weight lose.
  • vikkistarr89
    I was on Depakote for 10 years, and gained about 100lbs. I think I used the "Depakote is notorious for causing weight gain" as the scapegoat for my increasing weight & deteriorating fitness. Of course, it couldn't have bee the fact that I was eating about 2200 - 2700 cals a day, eating lots of processed food and very little physical activity.

I recently weaned off of Depakote (with dr's supervision). I also started MPF, eating between 1500 - 1800 cals/day, exercising 4-5 times/wk. I don't know if I'm losing weight because I'm off Depakote or because I am eating right and exercising. I tend to think it is my healthier habits that contribute more to the weight lose.

I very much agree in that I used my Citalopram sometimes as an excuse that im not losing weight - when in reality i was drinking 5 bottles of wine a week and eating *kitten*

I lost 22 pounds whilst i was still on Citalopram so there is proof it cant be done. However, my meds now are prescribed often to increase appetite, and i know its not an excuse because ive never felt hunger like it before!
  • Yea my eating habits definitely didn't help the fact that I was on meds that were doing there own thing already...

I just got so used to doing what I want and not having much affect.. but like I said.. Im off my meds and hoping I can really tackle all the issues left like the weight itself, my self image and my emotional attachment to food. :)
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member

Also, I dont know if this is worth anyone looking at, but here is the Top 13 Drugs that cause Weight Gain:

1. Paxil (paroxetine)
    2. Depakote (Valproic Acid)
    3. Prozac (flouxetine)
    4. Remeron (Mirtazapine)
    5. Zyprexa (Olansapine)
    6. Deltasone (prednisone)
    7. Thlorazine (Chlorpromazine)
    8. Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip (amitriptyline)
    9. Allegra (fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine)
    10. Diabinese, Insulase (chlorpropamide)
    11. Insulin
    12. Tenormin (atenolol)
    13. Contraceptives

I found the main culprits are Anti-depressants/Psychotics, Diabetic and Contraception

Hope this helps

It's just amazing to my that seroquel isn't on there.... That caused me to gain more weight than Depakote and Zyprexa combined (and I actually lost weight on Prozac)....
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    Prednisone is the culprit for me. I have been on it four different times for 2-3 weeks at a time. It makes me want to open the refrigerator door and pull up a chair. But even when I resist and don't eat my way through that hunger, I gain horribly while I am on it. And for me, that weight is so hard to lose.
  • GeriLyne
    GeriLyne Posts: 3 Member
    I have been on Amitriptyline now for almost 6 years I think and have watched the pounds just creep on with little success in losing. I can do ok for the first 7-9 pounds and then nothing regardless of diet and exercise. I was taking 100mg but asked my doctor to cut it in half. I'm thinking of having her wean me off it all together. it just seems like a terrible catch 22