Always gonna be fat according to BMI

Options
2»

Replies

• traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my weight for 6 months now as I reached a weight I felt comfortable with I'm a uk size 10/12 and feel happy with how I look and feel but I'm still in the overweight category with a bmi of 26.5 but I say balls to it I'm fit and healthy with a balanced diet and yes I do eat some crap but life is for living not obsessing about weight, I say if your happy with how you feel screw the bmi calculator.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights as you lose weight will help you keep the muscle mass you have now. When you get down to 160 you may realize that you want to lose more weight and can readjust your goals but you may also realize that you are at 20% body fat and are happy there. BMI doesn't really matter if it isn't accurate.

5'2, 160 lbs, 20% bodyfat is about 2 months of cutting from being a competition bodybuilder. That's a huge amount of lean mass for a woman.

No it's not. I'm 5'2", 99.5 and 20 percent body fat and I haven't done lifting of any kind for months. I know it's hard, but you need more background. A woman bodybuilder would be far below 20 percent, and 160 is not a healthy weight for a woman our height. But I would focus on getting there first.

5'2 100 lbs at 20% is very different than 5'2 160 lbs at 20%. That's literally 48 lbs of muscle different.

5'2 at 160 pounds, with a couple months of cutting, can get to 140 10%.

5'2, 140 lbs, 10% body fat for a woman is... huge. Imagine your own body with 46 additional pounds of muscle and 6 pounds less fat.
  • newloafofbread
    newloafofbread Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have many bad things to say about BMI. It's a very general thing and it's not good to set your expectations based on that. People have different body structures and muscle mass and the BMI takes none of that into account. For me I put in my goal weight (5'7, 165 pounds) and it still says I will be overweight. But I know that's right for me because I am interested in lifting weights and swimming laps and muscle builders like that, and for an average woman I also have pretty broad hips and shoulders which I think makes a difference too.

You will know when you get to your weight how you feel. If you need to keep losing then you can, and if you feel okay you can maintain. My first goal is to reach 200 pounds and then I will work on maintaining for a while. Everyone is different. It's just important to set a goal you think you can live with.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights as you lose weight will help you keep the muscle mass you have now. When you get down to 160 you may realize that you want to lose more weight and can readjust your goals but you may also realize that you are at 20% body fat and are happy there. BMI doesn't really matter if it isn't accurate.

5'2, 160 lbs, 20% bodyfat is about 2 months of cutting from being a competition bodybuilder. That's a huge amount of lean mass for a woman.

No it's not. I'm 5'2", 99.5 and 20 percent body fat and I haven't done lifting of any kind for months. I know it's hard, but you need more background. A woman bodybuilder would be far below 20 percent, and 160 is not a healthy weight for a woman our height. But I would focus on getting there first.

5'2 100 lbs at 20% is very different than 5'2 160 lbs at 20%. That's literally 48 lbs of muscle different.

5'2 at 160 pounds, with a couple months of cutting, can get to 140 10%.

5'2, 140 lbs, 10% body fat for a woman is... huge. Imagine your own body with 46 additional pounds of muscle and 6 pounds less fat.

My assumption was that the OP would be losing fat, which would bring down her overall weight. From what I've read, she doesn't know what her body fat percentage is. All we know is that she is probably significantly above 160, which is almost certainly an unhealthy weight for someone her size. Think about the stress on her joints alone.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Ohhh yea. welcome to my world. Im considered obese by my bmi.. By the time I get to the weight I want to be I will move from the obese to the overweight catagory. Neither which is correct. i am currently a size 10/12 depending and hope to eventually get into an 8. At this point i could care less what the scale or Bmi says. Both should be outlawed.