From where do you get YOUR calories?

Options
Just a general question: Does anyone just eat whatever they like but stay within their calorie ranges (plus excercise) but still lose weight?

I feel doing it that way will increase my rate of sucess (unless it actually will interfere with losing weight).

Replies

• yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just a general question: Does anyone just eat whatever they like but stay within their calorie ranges (plus excercise) but still lose weight?

I feel doing it that way will increase my rate of sucess (unless it actually will interfere with losing weight).
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat what I want. It really has to be within reason though. I don't want to spend all of my calories on one thing that I can eat within a few minutes. Therefore you will never see me with a fast food shake. Even if I do want one. I may go home though a mix up and eat a lower cal portioned ice cream or something. Its really not about depriving myself of the foods I like, just making smarter choices
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you would still lose weight but your overall health would certainly suffer. It's ok to have treats, just don't use all your calories on them.
  • lesliemassage
    Options
    I didn't see where you indicated you only wanted to eat foods low on the nutritional scale. So, I say eat what you want within reason. The way it works for me is this: if I eat a lot of poor choices, even if it's within my calorie range, at some point I just start to crave healthier food.

It's really been liberating to me to see how much food you can cram into 1400 or 1500 calories if you make good choices. I'm a quantity girl, not quality....:blushing: (evidently).

Good luck.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i eat what i want, or whatever my husband cooks.... but i find that i generally crave fresh fruit and other healthy stuff as much as i crave mc donald's. it helps to have healthy snacks around the house, then i'm less tempted to dig into the home-made ice cream!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I've been just eating whatever I feel like having. The thing is, when I make healthy choices I find that I get to eat a whole lot more food, so usually I make healthy choices. If I want ice cream, I have it, but usually afterwards I'm mad at myself for blowing all those calories and then still being hungry. If I eat cabbage with melted ff cheese and other mixed veggies, I can eat a whole huge plate of food and be full. It may not be the tastiest thing in the world, but afterwards I feel good about what I ate.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I balance it out. I eat healthy foods just because my body responds favorably. Not only in weight-loss but energy, wellness ( I haven't gotten sick, not even a cold all season!), just an overall feeling of health. I drink a ton of water and focus on lean protein, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc etc.

BUT, is that to say I never have a treat?? Of course not. I eat processed stuff sometimes too and yesterday I had a diet Dr. Pepper because I really wanted it. I don't have it all the time, nor do I really want it all the time. I also have a sweet/chocolate tooth and will indulge in a small portion every day.

I guess where I am going is that the word moderation often comes up with losing weight and keeping it off and I think that is the important thing. Just treat your body well but don't deny yourself the things you enjoy.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I try to eat right but do tend to eat what I like within reasonable portion control of course
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it's considered healthy. No soda, simple carbs, Hydrogenated Oils, etc.

I don't treat myself because there's nothing that I consider worth treating. I don't like chocolate, ice cream does nothing for me, I'm not interested in cake....blah.

Whatever I eat, I'm happy about the choices I make and make it a point to never feel guilty about my food choices.
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses!
    Hmm, thats interesting. I just find I've done so many diets that involve salads for lunch every day and treats like sugar free jello I feel a bit of guilt when I opt for a tuna sandwich and some cookies for desert. But at least I don't get fed up with the diet after a few weeks and don't feel like I'm depriving myself either (as well staying within my range).
    Thanks for the reassurance.
    :smile:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I haven't "banned" any foods, or I would never be able to do this. But since I feel fuller and more satisfied with healthier choices, it's easier to stick with the plan. I eat 5-6 small meals per day which still lets me "eat all day" but never (OK, rarely :) ) be hungry.