Bloating. UGH

Options
Okay so Monday I decided to come back and dedicate myself AGAIN to getting healthy and losing this weight. I've cut all the soda, coffee, and teas out of my daily intake. (Not easy at all but needs to be done.) Yesterday I lost a pound so excited, but today I'm bloated and up like 4lbs. I look like I'm 7 months pregnant with a huge caffeine withdrawal. Any suggestions on how to make the bloating go away?? I'm not giving up this time even though it's hard to see myself look even bigger.

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you were under your limit on sodium for a couple of days, and then over yesterday. The extra sodium could well have contributed to the bloat. Also hormones, depending on where you are in your cycle--I get some bloating (and spotting) mid-month as well as just before my period.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Water comes and goes. As long as you eat at a deficit, fat just goes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I believe giving up soda is a good idea. But why are you giving up coffee and tea, which are healthy dirinks? Is it because you only like them with sugar and/or cream? If you are experiencing withdrawl and you've had trouble sticking to a plan that totally excludes them in the past, perhaps you should wean yourself off them more slowly. Or maybe gradually add less and less additives until you learn to like a lower calorie option?

Sometimes it's better to make baby steps to the perfect diet rather than try to completely change everything overnight. Don't make yourself so miserable that you give up.

Drink as many low calorie drinks as possible and don't eat too much sodium to get rid of that bloat.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A lot of people respond to salt with water retention.

My husband bloats like a balloon if he eats a lot of gluten, although he does not have celiac. One beer and he looks 9 months pregnant. Higher fat will do it too for him. This is even if he is well within his calorie allowance.

One of the nice things about logging all your food is that you can put in things like bloating in the 'notes' section and, after a few weeks, look at your diet in conjunction with bloating and see if there's anything that is triggering it.

P.S. I agree about tea and have no problems with coffee.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Did you replace all of those drinks with lots and lots of water?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking adequate water. Also, during certain times of the month women's weight can certainly fluctuate pretty dramatically. It is absolutely not uncommon for ANYONE to have fluctuations of upwards of 6 pounds from one day to the next--depending on what you ate, when you last pooped, and how hydrated you are. I wouldn't stress it.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    you have to wait
  • LauraGibson80
    LauraGibson80 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I quit drinking tea and coffee because I have to have a lot of sugar in my tea. My coffee I have to add 3tb. spoons of flavoring creamer. Other wise it would be 3tsp. of sugar and creamer. Great advice about the notes part I will have to go back and put that into todays. Thank you again.