New gym membership - SO EXCITED!!!

Options
So I have been wanting to start lifting heavy for awhile now. Bought the New Rules book...and have been doing some body weight exercises at home. But due to a family special at the local (expensive) gym I am now a new club member!!! Going Saturday to get comfortable with the place and check things out a little more thoroughly. I will be taking my book and starting my first session! Can't wait!!! And the best part is that my husband, who hasn't been too into the new lifestyle but needs to be, is thinking about joining me on my lifting days! LOVE it and am floating on cloud nine right about now :)

So, any first timer tips or things that I should pay attention to...other than form?

Replies

• runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    So I have been wanting to start lifting heavy for awhile now. Bought the New Rules book...and have been doing some body weight exercises at home. But due to a family special at the local (expensive) gym I am now a new club member!!! Going Saturday to get comfortable with the place and check things out a little more thoroughly. I will be taking my book and starting my first session! Can't wait!!! And the best part is that my husband, who hasn't been too into the new lifestyle but needs to be, is thinking about joining me on my lifting days! LOVE it and am floating on cloud nine right about now :)

So, any first timer tips or things that I should pay attention to...other than form?

No eating cheetos on the equipment. It makes a mess and the staff will ask you to leave <sigh>
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Gym etiquette!

Leave your cell phone in the locker room (don't forget to bring a lock)
    Don't hog the weight machines; don't just there in between sets if someone is waiting to use it
    No loud grunting when lifting
    Put your weights back when done; re-rack barbell plates
    Wipe down equipment after use