alternative to push-ups?

Options
Yurippe
Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
I was in a car accident 2 years ago and almost lost my left arm. After multiple surgeries to rebuild the bone I was left with an elbow locked at 90 degrees and extensive nerve damage preventing the use of my wrist and hand. Two years and A LOT of physical therapy later I have about 95% of the use of my hand and wrist (although permanatly numb like when your foot falls asleep) and about 80% of the extension of my elbow. I will never be able to fully extend the arm. Since the accident I've put on about 60 lbs due to lack of activity.

I lost all muscle tone in that arm and have been able to build it up slowly over the last year. I joined Curves (a women's only gym based on circuit training) on 3/14/10 and have lost 13 lbs. I've noticed a huge improvement in my arm in just the last month both strength and painwise (is that even a word?).

There is one thing I can not do yet and maybe ever. Push-ups. It hurts the joint too much to put my full weight on it. I have tried on my knees, still too much.

I bought Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred after seeing about 30 new threads about it in the last month. Level 1 requires a lot of push-ups! What is an alternative strength training exercise that I can try during this portion of the video?

Replies

• lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wow! Way to rebuild your strength! That's awesome! I am not an expert, so this is just a suggestion! Push ups are so hard because you are lifting your body weight (BLEH!) If you can get on your back and do chest presses that would be great (with dumb bells) or maybe you should try from "imagymrat" the isometric chest press. You know like when we were kids and did the "we must, we must, we must increase our bust "move :wink: Good luck to you, Sounds like you are making GREAT progress!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    You saw that post from imagymrat about isometric chest exercises, right? Although they're not the same action as a push up, they do work similar muscles. Maybe try a dumbbell chest press? To do the exercise most effectively though, you may not be able to lay on the floor as it would prevent your hands and the weights from coming down to chest level. Unless you have a weight bench, try substituting a sturdy piece of furniture. I have a trunk that we use as a coffee table or extra seating in our living room that would work. If you have children, perhaps one of those Playskool picnic table thingys. Just ideas...
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Wow! Way to rebuild your strength! That's awesome! I am not an expert, so this is just a suggestion! Push ups are so hard because you are lifting your body weight (BLEH!) If you can get on your back and do chest presses that would be great (with dumb bells) or maybe you should try from "imagymrat" the isometric chest press. You know like when we were kids and did the "we must, we must, we must increase our bust "move :wink: Good luck to you, Sounds like you are making GREAT progress!

LOL obviously we had the same idea at the same time!!!
  • lreed
    Options
    :wink: Great minds Huh!
  • lreed
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/91359-isometric-chest-exercise
    Not sure if the link will work or not, but check it out!
  • tami52
    tami52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could also try push ups off the wall while standing. This won't put as much weight on the joint as doing them on the floor.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. :wink: