Unhappy with weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I just realized that it does kind of sound like i may want to shoot myself. Not the case. I was just posting that I cant seem to feel happy about the weight loss. I did see a therapist a while ago about the other issues, and got every under control. I was giving a kind of back story, didnt go over so well, because everyone thinks i have major issues now. LOL :laugh:

But I am working on the being happy part of the weight loss endeavor. Its just frustrating not seeing the difference that others see. :grumble:

I understand, but sort of in the opposite way. I was fortunate to be pretty slim growing up. I was never one that could eat anything I wanted, but I never had any weight issues as long as I ate reasonably. So, as I put on weight (in my 30s), in my mind's eye I would still see the "normal" me, the me I had always known, but when I shopped for clothes nothing I picked out would fit! So, although the scale was telling me I was getting heavier and intellectually I knew I needed to get it under control before it became a real issue, "emotionally" it was hard for me to see. Eventually I did and, in my case, it wasn't a pretty sight to behold. Who WAS this person I was looking at?

So, that's where you are probably at. In your mind you're EXPECTING to see the "normal" you; the you that was "imprinted" on your mind growing up. Now, you are no longer that person physically. You have to get over the mental barrier. Keep at it, and it will happen, I'm sure.
  • Bmott0928
    Bmott0928 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You all are superb! Thank you for all the motivation. I love it, and it is definitley opening my eyes and my mind to the many changes I should be focusing on. Love this site! :bigsmile:
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have most definitely been there and my former 260 pound self often turns sideways to walk between objects that arent even close together.

1. It took a year for my brain to catch up to my body - in the between time my self-esteem tanked because I'd lost the weight but didnt get the body I wanted.

2. I was patient, and got used to my new body, and started to do the work that shaped my body as opposed to the work that would just make me weigh less.

3. I could just LOSE something, I had to GAIN something too or I would stay lost with this sad empty hole in my forever.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, I thought I was the only one! At age 54, you would think I would be over myself, but I am not.

I am happy with the number on the scale, but I would really love to be in better shape. I am in good health but need to focus more on exercise and getting stronger.

there is nothing wrong with wanting to continuously improve one's self, but somedays the journey is harder than others.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I understand not seeing a difference. I was 196 last summer and I'm now 124, I have gone from a tight 16 to a nice fitting 3, but even with that said...I still look in the mirror and see the chubby me looking back, sometimes.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Well, I started this weight loss endeavor about 4 years ago at 234lbs, and I am now 167lbs. Many would say this is amazing, and that I dont even look the weight I do now, but less. However, all I hear when someone says this is, "Blah, blah, blah." Having always been overweight through childhood, and high school, I guess I was a bit traumatized by the tortureous name calling, and pranks that I went through during those times. That being said, I am not at all happy with any of the weight that I have lost...I was at the first 5 lbs, but now I cant help but feel like that 234lb or more girl. I dont know if it is a confidence thing or just unhappy that I havent gotten to that glorious weight goal, but I'm just not happy with this weight loss.

I am pretty social and outgoing at times, and I am a generally happy person. But when I look at the scale, I instantly get upset, and I look in the mirror, and I really dont see a difference. I hide this all pretty well from everyone close to me, mostly because I feel like this is a struggle I do not want to share, but I think I should for everyone else that may be feeling the same way. I cant share it with my family though, my sister has always been very critical of me, always telling me I have to lose weight, and that there is no excuse to not lose weight. I remember crying in a restaurant when she would ask me what are you eating (I was 12) you need to stop or you'll stay fat, maybe you should eat a salad. FUN!

Anyway, I dont feel different, and im getting tired of working hard to lose weight and actually losing weight, but not feeling any different about myself.

Does anyone else feel this way? Does it get worse the more you lose?

First - Hello to a fellow Chicagoan!! And Congrats on your weight loss!

It sounds like you have a deep emotional scars left over from being an overweight child and not getting the proper support at home during those tender years. I would encourage you to talk to someone. A doctor or even a support group like Weight Watchers. You've accomplished a lot and deserve to feel good about those achievements!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    3. I couldn't just LOSE something, I had to GAIN something too or I would stay lost with this sad empty hole in my forever.

fixed my post