Insanity - tell the truth

Options
For all you guys who have just started it - can you complete a whole workout? Do you pause, take breaks and finish the thing or do you turn it off with minutes to go when you figure you have nothing left?

I've tried it a few days per week for four weeks now (alternating with long runs and RI30) and I can't get through one yet!

Wondering if I'm really up for this. Am I expecting too much of myself or should I just suck it up and finish the thing if it kills me????

Would love to hear other people's experiences.

Replies

• the1captain
    the1captain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do I complete every workout? Yes. Do I take very small breaks throughout? Of course. Even the trainers on the video in the background take a break once in awhile. I'm currently in week 3. I did the 60 days a year ago. Only missed 2 workouts then. One because I was very sick. The other because I went out of town over night and couldn't fit it in.

My feeling is that if you are someone that has never really worked out. Or it's been a very, very long time since you did. Insanity is not for you YET. Work on some cardio for a little while and build towards it.

Remember, the important thing is to do the best YOU can. If you are totally exhausted and can't get through everything, that is GOOD! That is the point. Hopefully you'll get better over time.

Good Luck!
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Its not something you should be coasting through.

I've done it twice and it don't get easier, you just learn to take the pain and do it.
  • aleana2012
    Options
    Yes I finish a workout everyday, yes I have to take breaks.

Insanity is one of those programs that your not meant to 'go easy' in, you're meant to give it everything you have.

So I would say, consider the fact that you are doing other workouts & runs - these could be affecting your energy levels & making it harder for you to complete a full insanity workout.
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I run as well. (I'm following the Novice 2 of Hal Higdon's Half Marathon training for my race in April)

It's hard to do long runs and Insanity. But I only have a long run on the weekend and I run in the morning and do insanity during the day (gives my legs a little break)

I'm on day 13 and I've finished every single workout. I rest when I need but that's about it. I try to push as much as possible! Why quite when there's not much longer to go?? You've worked so hard to get there keep going. :) If you get to the point where you think you have nothing left, pause the dvd catch your breath then start the dvd again and keep going.

I do have to say that even though my legs are more tired when I run, my pace has definitely picked up so I'm excited about that. :)
  • tattoedkitten
    Options
    I love insanity - I complete every workout, but i do sometimes have a few more breaks then scheduled during the workout, but like someone already said - most of the people in the video (and they are all fitness trainers) have breaks too. Completed one round of insanity, didn't lose much weight, but i did lose cms, and my fitness/energy and motivation levels went up. Plus I couldn't do a full pushup when I started - I can now!!! Started my second round (did hip hop abs inbetween), but due to just being too busy decorating I haven't done it for a week. So now I have to decide, carry on at week 4 or restart????
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Today was day 6, a little discouraging...I try to finish the whole session...indeed I take breaks. I stopped running before doing it. Might add just walking in the evening, but just want to do the program alone for at least 2 weeks. I'm still trying to get 1 push up done! Hang in there!
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am on day 13 as well, I finish every workout, but of course I take tiny breaks here and there, usually when my form goes off then its a 3-5 second break and back into it.
    if you are finding yourself actually incapable of finshing a workout then perhaps Insanity is not the right program for you just yet. if you are simply exhausted partway through, good! take a little break, dig deeper and keep going!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When I did the program I was able to finish the workouts and did not take extra breaks but I definitely was not able to do some of the moves as fast or as many as they were doing on the video! I usually don't sweat a lot but I sweated like crazy with insanity!
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Heck yes I take breaks! It usually involves me falling on the floor after push-up jacks... I'm in week 4 of my first time. I'm having a blast and giving it everything I got during the workout, but I have gotten particularily fond of breathing. It's nice to breath... Also, my wrists get really sore pretty fast, so the moves that involve high planks (push-up/shi abs/etc..) I have to take more breaks or revert to face-on-floor position.

Just take things slow, and don't comprimise your form. I have to do the 1-2-3 Heismans slow since I can't shuffle that fast. It takes time, that's all.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    i'm doing the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, then at the end of that, i'm going to start insanity.
    i tried doing insanity a few days ago, i couldn't get through the first 10 minutes. ):
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I could never get through a whole one without a break....until I had finished month 2, then I could do a month 1 workout without a break!

ETA: remember the people in the dvd still have breaks and they've already done the program before
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    how long is an insanity session?
    To the OP- good luck!
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My husband & I are going through it for the 2nd time. We both still take breaks and I do not do ANY of the jumping intervals.(it's a balance thing for me) BUT if you listen in the video Sean says take breaks but don't sacrifice form! It's all about using correct form - if you're NOT you're NOT getting the benefits! So keep at it, take your breaks so you don't "sacrifice" form!:bigsmile:
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    To the OP- good luck!
    They vary. About 40 minutes the first month and 60 minutes the second month.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    For all you guys who have just started it - can you complete a whole workout? Do you pause, take breaks and finish the thing or do you turn it off with minutes to go when you figure you have nothing left?

I've tried it a few days per week for four weeks now (alternating with long runs and RI30) and I can't get through one yet!

Wondering if I'm really up for this. Am I expecting too much of myself or should I just suck it up and finish the thing if it kills me????

Would love to hear other people's experiences.

I had to take breaks. -_-
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    Tonight I'll be doing day 5 of Insanity. I usually take 3 breaks per session for 10 to 15 seconds each when my form starts getting bad.
  • kzarnoch
    kzarnoch Posts: 2
    Options
    I went through Insanity 2 cycles. The first cycle through (63 days) - I would do long pauses during the breaks, especially in the beginning (first few weeks), but I would always finish each and every workout. Instead of the 30 seconds it allowed, I started out taking 2-3 minutes and eventually got it down to 1 minute. Once you get used to the first month, BAM - the 2nd month begins and you are getting your *kitten* handed to you again.

When I completed the entire workout (and had lost 34 pounds at the time), I took a week off and then began again. The second time through, I did EACH and EVERY session the way it was intended to be done. I did not take or NEED extra breaks. I was so amped up that I was screaming at the trainers on the TV when they would take extra breaks. It is tough work, but once you get used to it, you will be able to power through it.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

My feeling is that if you are someone that has never really worked out. Or it's been a very, very long time since you did. Insanity is not for you YET. Work on some cardio for a little while and build towards it.
    Whoa! That is harsh!
    I guess I should have provided more context.

Running is my first choice for a workout. I'm 49 and I have done 4 half marathons in the last ten years. But it is taking a toll on my knees so I'm trying to change it up. Also, arthritis in one wrist means I can't put weight on it so I have to make all kinds of adjustments to do push-ups and stuff.

My solution was to start with JM Ripped in 30 (week 2 is a killer ) and then do an Insanity workout for cardio. That's where I was running out of gas. Maybe I should just do one or the other. Or stick with my game plan and work my way to doing both back to back in full.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    To the OP- good luck!
    Thank you!!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i think i wanna try it :smile: