Help! I need to help make an exercise plan?

Options
I'm currently 112 pounds, 5'0 ft.

I've been doing a lot of jumping jacks, sit-ups, and crunches for the past two months but I don't think they're burning fat effectively as they used to.

What are some good exercises, for me, that could help me lose weight?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd sit and think about some fitness goals that are independent of your weight loss goals...the rest will fall into place. Personally, I'd focus on strength training and start lifting weights. You are already at the low end of healthy weight range (110-135). You don't need to lose any weight. My guess is that you're not happy with body composition. To change that you need to lift heavy things and put them down...eat at least to maintenance.
  • silvermist18903
    silvermist18903 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That makes sense. Would dumbbells help build strength and resistance?
  • kaitgettingfit
    Options
    I do cardio for 30 mins monday, wednesday, and friday and tuesday and thursday I do some sort of strength training... either at the gym or 30 Day Shred. Then some light cardio on Saturday and Sunday rest
  • silvermist18903
    Options
    Thanks! That's a good mix up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That makes sense. Would dumbbells help build strength and resistance?

Look into a beginner strength program like Starting Strength (and read the book...no cheating). Don't be fooled by it's simplicity...follow the program and you will see results. There are other beginner strength programs as well and they're all pretty similar. Just follow them and you will have an outstanding foundation of strength in about 9 months or so...from there you can branch off to various lifting programs depending on what your goals are. Also...you won't "Bulk"...so many worried about that. Most women simply do not have the genetic makeup to "bulk". You will develop muscle, which in turn will give you that toned and tight look.

Dumbbells work yes...if they're heavy enough. You want to continuously progress in how much weight you're pushing/pulling...that's how you gain strength and change body composition. When you're working on muscle development and body composition, you can absolutely do cardio...but really, the lifting should be the focus, with cardio being an afterthought...particularly as you don't need to lose weight.
  • silvermist18903
    Options
    Thanks! Very helpful info.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I found running really helped me lose weight and fat, whilst building muscle. You don't realise how much of your body you're working! The C25K plan is a great way to get started. I used to HATE running with a passion and I couldn't run for three minutes without hyperventilating. I am now training to do a marathon in October and can easily run 5-7 miles without thinking about it!

Good luck :)
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I found running really helped me lose weight and fat, whilst building muscle. You don't realise how much of your body you're working! The C25K plan is a great way to get started. I used to HATE running with a passion and I couldn't run for three minutes without hyperventilating. I am now training to do a marathon in October and can easily run 5-7 miles without thinking about it!

Good luck :)

i agree that running is the key to weight loss
  • nicolewood415
    nicolewood415 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like to go to fitness magazines and blogs to get ideas on workouts. I do body-weight type exercises and also incorporated dumbbell weights, plus a little cardio. My suggestion is to try different things and see what you like and what works for you.