fish

Options
I have never been a big seafood eater. I love crab and shrimp but fish has never been a big draw to me. I use to like fried catfish (but only at one specific place where it didn't taste so...lake water-y. When i was little i would eat fish sticks. What is a good fish/way to prepare it other than fried that doesn't taste real strong and , well, fishy?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Baked.

Salmon, Cod, Tilapia....
  • cindygretz
    Options
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Baked.

Salmon, Cod, Tilapia....

with Lemon and dill if you like dill
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Easy Baked Tilapia

pre-heat oven to 375

4 Tilapia fillets
    3T lemon juice
    garlic salt
    Old Bay Seasoning
    Bag of favorite frozen veggies

Spray casserole dish with no stick spray and place fillets in dish
    pour lemon juice over fish
    sprinkle garlic salt and Old Bay Seasoning to taste over fish
    spread veggies around fish
    cover with foil
    bake 25-30 min
    serve.
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    baked white fish of any kind is really good. Cod, Tilapia, Swai, and salmon. YUM YUM. Freeze a lemon and grate the lemon over the fish after it has been cooked. YUM !
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is about the mildest fish taste (at a reasonable price) that I can think of.

You can bake, or my favorite way is just saute in butter with salt/pepper and lemon juice. Add garlic if you like that flavor too!

Good for you for trying something new!
  • Blessed4x
    Blessed4x Posts: 20
    Options
    I LOVE tilapia sauteed in a little real butter with some lemon pepper. YUMMO!!!!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    in soup :)
  • DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! So i have a novice question...how do you know when its done cooking?
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Steamed or Japanese nitsuke style.
    I also like tuna and salmon raw or seared.
    Salmon is also excellent in a ceviche.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • MBCook2
    MBCook2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge seafood fan either, but I do like mild white fish. As another poster said, tilapia is pretty mild & reasonably priced. As many have said, we also love to have it baked. Mix some light mayo & dijon mustard & spread on the fish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese - if you use the really good stuff & grate it yourself, you won't need as much, so you'll save some calories. Bake at 400 for a few minutes - maybe 10, depending on the thickness of your fillets?? - until it's cooked through & flaky. You can also broil it for a minute or two at the end to bubble up & brown the topping. Sprinkle with dill, if desired. Fast, easy & VERY yummy!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Luckily, seafood is my favorite cuisine. I eat trout, salmon, clams and crab pretty often, because it's cheap. Only costs a fishing license, gear and bait and I can have as many as I can catch. On occasion, just for something different, I'll buy some tilapia fillets. Ciao, Marc
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    if cooking tilapia it colors similar to white chicken meat(breast) and I started out just skillet cooking it with a touch of olive oil, garlic, lemon n pepper. I would cook it till it literally fell apart then mix in w/e veggies or grain I was having. :) I've also just ate it lightly seasoned by itself(I also do that with tuna) Really yummy imo.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Why eat fish if you don't like the taste of fish? I hate brussels sprouts, and so I don't eat them. Yeah, I'm sure there's a recipe out there to make them taste good enough to choke down, but I don't see any reason to. A turd is still a turd even if you deep fry it and wrap it in bacon strips.
  • DebraLosesIt
    Options
    Y'all are great! Thankya kindly.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just had wild Alaskan sockeye salmon for the first time ever. He grilled it with a glaze of brownsugar, pineapple juice and some ginger. I was surprised that it was so tasty. I don't like really fishy tasting fish and this was pretty good. I've heard that Atlantic salmon is not as good, though, and farm raised is muddy tasting. (I don't eat any farm-raised fish anyway - too polluted.)

Wild, ocean white fish is the mildest and best-tasting to me. Although my brother-in-law caught a fresh water trout up in Mammoth (California) when we were camping one year and pan-fried it in a little bit of butter. That was a little morsel of heaven...but maybe I was just hungry from the long hike.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    SALMON! it is my favourite in the world, raw, fried, poached, baked... even still wriggling I'd probably still eat it :P

You can fry it without using any oils at all - the natural fats come out (these are super good fats!). I put mine on a non stick pan on medium heat and cover with a lid so it steams the top.

You know it is cooked when the flesh goes from bright orange to a more pastel orange - you can see if you open up the fillet and check inside. The pieces also start to fall off easily rather than the fish staying together in one solid piece.

IT IS AMAZING (I am hungry now from writing this) and I eat a fillet every day when I'm not travelling (unlike now :( )
  • DebraLosesIt
    Options
    Lol baconmd! I don't hate it, but Im getting kind of tired of my usual so i wanted to try something new. I've also been unsure of myself in preparing it. I was the same way with chicken and pork too for awhile lol.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! So i have a novice question...how do you know when its done cooking?

Fish is done when you can lightly probe it with a fork and it separates pretty easy. If you're not quite sure it's done, you can always throw it in the nuke box for a minute. Ciao, Marc
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do a broiled sweet and spicy salmon that is awesome and super easy! Mix 1 tbls Old Bay seasoning with 1 tbls brown sugar and sprinkling on salmon filets (pressing down so it sticks) and broil for about 6-8 minutes (depending on how thick the filets are). The brown sugar mixture caramelizes and makes a sweet and spicy crust on the fish.