Light and Fluffy Basmati Rice

HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes/light-and-fluffy-rice
from Jamie's Ministry of Food

**Light and Fluffy Basmati Rice**

snacks and sides | serves 4 - 6

This is my basic recipe for getting perfect rice every time. Have a go at mastering it – you’ll be amazed at the light and fluffy results.

Once you’ve got the hang of that, you can have a go at flavouring it - any flavouring you boil with the rice will infuse it with wonderful fragrances and flavours. So try boiling things like fresh herbs, a cinnamon stick, a few cardamom pods, a strip of lemon zest or even a green tea bag in the water with the rice.

Doubling the amounts in the recipe will give you enough rice to serve 8-12 people.

Ingredients

• sea salt
• 350g basmati rice

• Put a large pan of salted water on a high heat and bring to the boil
• Rinse the rice in a colander under running water for about 1 minute, or until the water runs clear (this will stop the grains sticking together later)
• Add your rice to the boiling water and wait for the grains to start dancing around
• From that point, boil for 5 minutes
• Drain the rice in a colander
• Pour 2.5cm of water into the pan, put it back on the heat and bring it to the boil again, then turn down to a simmer
• Cover the rice in the colander with foil or a lid
• Place the colander on top of the pan of simmering water and let the rice steam over it for 8 to 10 minutes
• Remove from the heat and if you’re ready, serve immediately
• If not, leave the foil or lid on and put aside until ready to serve – it should stay warm for about 20 minutes

Replies

• flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    I don't use Basmati rice, but have found a rice cooker to be wonderful! Easy and only one pan to clean. Recently got a mini rice cooker - makes 3 cups. Black and Decker. I use it for brown rice, need to put a little less rice and a little more water. Once it clicks off as done, let it sit for a little while on warm.

I have heard that Basmati is one of the best rice's for diabetes, I should buy some.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    When i cook basmati rice, just before its ready, drain and put colander ontop of pan with a little of the drained water and let it steam for a minute or so.

This is an easy way to prevent overcooking the rice

Don't forget to stir and you'll have perfect rice every time
This discussion has been closed.