Can't Exercise! Help!

Options
I just had ankle surgery 2 weeks ago, and cannot walk for another 2 to 3 weeks. With the pain pills making me nauseous I haven't eaten much. I've actually lost 2 pounds since I got the surgery. But the pain is getting better and the boredom is setting in. I can't physically exercise, but I need some motivation to stick to healthy eating habits. It would be so easy to just lay around and eat food all day. Any advice??

Replies

• rickb26
    rickb26 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes get some small hand weights, and exercise sitting down. Look I'm 59 years old and weigh 344 pounds. I have COPD, a bad back and messed up knees... I spent 20 years I the US Army fit as a fiddle, guess what I got lazy and used all kinds of excuses to stop exercising and started eating up a storm.. Now I'm a heart attack waiting to happen.. so I got smart.. I bought a treadmill and do 30 minutes a day at 2 miles an hour, I eat nutra system and lost a few pounds in a few days..... so if I can do some kind of exercise so can you....granted you don't have 110 pounds to loose but if you make excuses not to do any exercise you might be in the same shape as I am one day....so do as much as you can while you can.. I know having ankle surgery isn't any fun because I spend 6 months in a long leg cast after knee surgery...... but try to be creative and do some exercise with out affecting the ankle.. best of luck ...
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Get busy in a hobby! Do you like cross-stitching? I do, that keeps me busy if I have to sit around because of a disability or illness. It keeps me from eating. I'm only 32, and I LOVE cross-stitching. It's a secret!

Do you like video games? Something to keep you distracted.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just had knee surgery so I am in the same boat! I made my husband take most of our junk food to work with him; I can't get myself to the grocery store, so those foods aren't options anymore. You could also maybe have someone put unhealthy foods on higher shelves where you can't reach, so they are harder to get to.

I have also been watching a ridiculous amount of netflix, and rereading some of my favorite books. It helps to keep my mind off of food :)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Time to work on your arms.... Curls, presses, kickbacks....or bench press.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am just doing floor exercises; legs lifts, situps, stretches as prescribed by Physical Therapy. Also have weights that I am doing reps with. It burns a little calories. I have to option to other things like biking or walking unlike you but I dont feel like it right now; maybe tomorrow. I think about all the risks of obesity- diabetes,heart attack, stroke, early onset dementia and that helps to keep me on track. I have not been the picture of clean eating or perfectly meeting my goals everyday but I am here for me and trying to at least maintain until I can lose a little more. I want to live a long and healthy life.
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I had a knee injury earlier this year; and YES you can still exercise! Upper body; use weights and do shadow boxing; which is amazing and a great calorie burner:)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i guess you could do some crunches, maybe pilates if it doesn't hurt
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    Can exercise!
    Like RickB said, get some handweights - or two cans of baked beans - and work your upper body - plenty of examples on google if you don't know how. Also, can do leg lifts, etc, while you are sitting/lying down - work your core, and lifting and moving your legs keeps the blood circulating which helps prevent clots and swelling, and aids healing.
    Good luck! :smile:
    PS - good idea to keep busy - I played iPad scrabble for hours when laid up.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Get busy in a hobby! Do you like cross-stitching? I do, that keeps me busy if I have to sit around because of a disability or illness. It keeps me from eating. I'm only 32, and I LOVE cross-stitching. It's a secret!

Do you like video games? Something to keep you distracted.

I worked in an arts and crafts store! You wouldn't believe how any cross stitchers I met! =) People from like 18 to much older ladies and even guys =)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I had a knee injury earlier this year; and YES you can still exercise! Upper body; use weights and do shadow boxing; which is amazing and a great calorie burner:)

This, plus check out chair aerobics.
  • smidget333
    smidget333 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas! I do like to knit and to read, but it's crazy how quickly you get bored with those things when you're stuck at home. Netflix is fun but not all the time, I start to feel like a vegetable staring at the TV too long lol. I'm just young and so used to being able to go go go!

I have small hand weights, and I think I'll take up some upper body exercises, that's a great idea! I don't know why it didn't occur to me!! What is shadowboxing?? If I can do it sitting down, I'm game!
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Pick up a hobby that will keep your hands and mind busy.